well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Not getting paid?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not getting paid?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted
Or not getting paid when salary is due?

Will they be paid later?

Will that pay include interest?

Curious as that answer never seems to be discussed on TV news.

I personally find the shut down discusting. And including everything but the sun in what comes up in a proposal is another issue I have big time problems with.

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
No interest.

Seems like there's nothing that guarantees they'd get paid, but it's always been the case that congress includes back pay when they finally pass a budget and no one expects this time to be any different.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Didn't they just pass a law that Trump said he would sign guaranteeing back pay?

No interest, though.

It's essentially a cash flow problem. In saying that, I don't mean to minimize the scope of the problem, which is awful for people living on the edge. But they'll get the money later. If they have a means of dealing with the cash flow issue, it's actually a paid vacation (albeit with terrible stress and uncertainty).

The people you really need to feel for are the contractors and others who rely on cash flow from the government or government employees. Those people are never going to be made whole.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I saw something this morning that said that the effects of a shutdown don't increase in a straight line, they increase exponentially over time.

It also said that roughly 10% of all food bought in America is bought through food stamps, and SNAP runs out of money in February. Can that be right? Am I remembering wrong? It seemed awfully high to me.

The Trump Administration is apparently building contingency plans for the shutdown to last through at least the end of February.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
This isn't the article I recall, but it's about the way contractors are particularly getting squeezed by the shutdown.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and...vTVnA3512TpNmQvy8z8M

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Trump Administration is apparently building contingency plans for the shutdown to last through at least the end of February.

OMG that's horrible. That's the first I've heard this extended timeline.

This just confirms it to me. The president does not care about this country or its people.

It's shameful and he is shameless.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I am glad to hear at least it will come at some point, if they continued to work. For those that don't work, they should not get paid.

So I don't see how it should be a paid vacation.

He really has no care for anyone beyond his supporters. Has no idea what mid class, plus, people go through.

And as if 5 billion would cover the cost of more wall.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

OMG that's horrible. That's the first I've heard this extended timeline.

This just confirms it to me. The president does not care about this country or its people.

It's shameful and he is shameless.

And it's not just the president. It's McConnell and the republican party.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10570 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Regarding whether those who don’t work should be paid . . .

If your employer will not fire you but requires that you continue working without pay, that is a huge wage law violation. As I understand it, if an employer won’t fire you, and you quit instead, you are no longer eligible for unemployment insurance. If you are told you are not essential and prevented from working, why should you be unpaid — especially since you will have to work hard later to catch up?

Also, consider that if you are a federal employee and you quit, you get your vacation pay. You do not get your accumulated sick leave. Therefore if you quit and then come back three weeks later, you would start at zero for accumulating sickleave again. That makes people feel like they are trapped.

If a regular employer is going under, the employee knows that and can make decisions accordingly. Like, the first thing you would do would be to pull your children out of daycare rather than continue to pay for it when there is a chance she will not be paid. How can anyone plan for anything when the federal government is behaving chaotically?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
In the past, the furloughed workers who aren’t working also received back pay. Which kind of makes sense, because they didn’t decide to take time off.

If they don’t get paid this time, that’s really carpy for them.

If they do get paid, then this stupid stunt has cost a lot of money for no good reason.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those that don't work, they should not get paid.

I disagree with this in principle, although I realize in practice it's complicated. The federal employees who are not working right now are doing so not by their choice. This forced vacation is one 99% of those folks would not be taking if they were given the choice between unpaid vacation time versus working and receiving their pay. (not to mention the points Cindy brings up). Also, some federal employees are not being allowed to work, right? So even less their choice.

Now,if we're talking about people who call in sick and would normally have sick pay, they need to be paid.

If we're talking about hourly workers who are not working during the shutdown, or say the TSA employees who are calling in sick (assuming at least some of those positions are hourly and may not have sick pay), well, then I'm not sure what should be done. But I think it's important to remember that these people are not "lazy bums" or whatever else they're called online. These folks are victims.

All the more reason to end the damn shutdown now!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Also, consider that if you are a federal employee and you quit, you get your vacation pay. You do not get your accumulated sick leave. Therefore if you quit and then come back three weeks later, you would start at zero for accumulating sickleave again. That makes people feel like they are trapped.

I don't know whether something has changed in the last 25 years or not. However, when I left the federal government, I was explicitly told that you could leave and return, and that your sick leave would be returned to you, provided you returned within three years.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
or say the TSA employees who are calling in sick (assuming at least some of those positions are hourly and may not have sick pay), well, then I'm not sure what should be done. But I think it's important to remember that these people are not "lazy bums" or whatever else they're called online. These folks are victims.

We should remember that some of the TSA employees calling in sick may be doing so in order to work at a different job. You know, a job that actually is paying current wages.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
We were told that when you leave the federal government, your accrued sick leave is added to your length of service.

I have about 40 days of sick leave accumulated. If I leave, the government will consider me to have been employed for 5 years and 40 days instead of just 5 years. This is close to useless for most people.

I accumulated sick leave as a law clerk in the mid-80s. When I resumed for for the federal government, my sick leave began at zero.

And as I have said before, if you quit federal employment you have no entitlement to get your job back. You are allowed to apply for your position (or any position) should it be re-authorized. In my case, it would not be re-authorized because of the (unofficial) hiring freeze in my division.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Tweet from the Commandant of the USCG

https://twitter.com/ComdtUSCG/.../1085246326944788482

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post