well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    This Was Always the Risk
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Was Always the Risk
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 41799 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This strikes me as the equivalent of not flying after you read about a plane crash.

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican Party identification has begun requiring intellectual vacuity.

-- Jennifer Rubin (she's a conservative for those who don't read much)
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally, he landed on the solution: “Just try not to be an asshole.”

That's a pretty good strategy, as it always has been.

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
In fairness the men in question are concerned about the power of false accusations. So not being an asshole presumably isn’t enough.

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lord Emperor Mom
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
It's not going to protect them again the accusations, true or false, from men claiming harassment at the hands of other men.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 13954 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
This strikes me as the equivalent of not flying after you read about a plane crash.

That assumes that the mentor gets equivalent benefit from the relationship.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
It's not going to protect them again the accusations, true or false, from men claiming harassment at the hands of other men.

As the article says, it also doesn't protect them from allegations of sexual discrimination. If you mentor men, but not women, you are probably guilty of discrimination.

The solution is to mentor no one, to go to dinner one-on-one with no one, to have one-on-one meetings with no one.

Lord Emperor Mom
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Everybody stays on different floors in hotels. (Which doesn't strike me as particularly protective, except maybe if riding an elevator or taking the stairs guaranteed that you'd pass a camera.)

No two-person dinners. And so on.

None of these are fail-safes against assault, harassment, or false accusations, but they might possibly discourage them. If the proposed policies are deemed to be sufficiently effective, when weighed against the associated inconveniences and costs, then they should be implemented across the board.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 13954 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Minor Deity
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Is #metoo about false accusations?

I didn't think so.

So the solution is pretty simple: behave like a gentleman.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 19101 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
“If men avoid working or traveling with women alone, or stop mentoring women for fear of being accused of sexual harassment,” he said, “those men are going to back out of a sexual harassment complaint and right into a sex discrimination complaint.”

Yep.

Of course, the other unspoken in the room is when the woman feels uncomfortable in the same situations--being asked to go to a 1:1 dinner, to accompany a higher-up to a conference in another city, etc. I guess I don't feel too sad that men are now having to stop and think about putting themselves into situations that women have been concerned about since the dawn of time.

Harrumph.

Posts: 31661 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

That’s a plane crash they’ve yet to read about, apparently.

Lord Emperor Mom
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
They must have had to squint pretty hard to avoid seeing the coverage of Kevin Spacey's fall from grace.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Was Spacey falsely accused?

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
How many people have worked with someone who was actually drummed out of their business by a false accusation? A legitimate one?

I mean really worked with that person rather than being two or three degrees separated? Being a low-level flunky in CBS doesn't mean you "worked with Les Moonves." [I know someone who was his proverbial right hand, but that doesn't mean I worked with him]

I'm guessing the number is quite small. The exaggerated risk avoidance behaviors being bruited about really sound like extremist talking points.

Not being an asshole really will go a long way.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
[I know someone who was his proverbial right hand, but that doesn't mean I worked with him]

#metoo Me too. Check your pm.