well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    SK, Bernard, Others: SOS! Need Recommendations for Music Theory etc, books for son, please!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SK, Bernard, Others: SOS! Need Recommendations for Music Theory etc, books for son, please!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I'm tending toward the so-called Four Star series
pique mentioned but I'm again extremely confused about just what to get .

After all, he's protested most about lack of sight-reading ability and ear sensitivity. This series provides tests, with daily exercises. With these he won't be overwhelmed with microscopic musical notes which he already has in his Presser book.

The problem is it seems each level is actually four books, and I'm at a loss about where to find them on the Amazon site (hint, wtf!). If (as is generally the practice with Amazon, I think) he has three months to return them that would give him plenty of time to decide if he liked them. We're getting together at the end of December for holidays, and he can tell me whether he likes them and I'll see how he's doing.

There are only four reviews for the series, and since they were mediocre it alarmed me. Reading them, though, I see that fully two consisted of warnings about getting the wrong books (and not being able to return them?!?), so I want to be sure what I'm getting. (The other two said the series was superlative.)

I'm going right now, though, to check Amazon's return policies carefully for music books!! Maybe they're restrictive for fear of being unable to recycle books with even the fewest, smallest markings their staff would be unable to note upon receipt.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Only 30 days at best. Mixed up with Target.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Well, here I am on Amazon (no music publishing houses?) and, naturally, running into trouble.

Firstly, to SK. I put some chords and other technique books in the cart, but I wanted to add the so-called "Alfred's" "I used to play the piano" because I know the Alfred books are good and it also includes a CD. (In fact, I'd best check the books on his piano to make sure I'm not duplicating anything). Twice now, though, I've clicked on the link only to be switched (sic) to a book edited by someones named Lancaster and MCarthur. I don't like the looks of it (kind of cutesy) and furthermore it especially notes it runs the gamut of "jazz boogie blues and ragtime". I have no reason to think he likes any of these, thoough perhaps Om prejudiced because I don't. I'm mystified - and disappointed. Seems like a coding glitch.

And pique, I was keen on ordering that series of ten you recommended by Keith Snell and Martha Ashleigh, but once more have run into trouble on Amazon. Unless I'm mistaken, they only carry them up to book four - pretty far from ten though there are other publications mentioned by them singly or together.

Or have they consolidated the original ten to so few? Again, disappointed. Frowner

I was all set to send the order off including wrapping (if they can somehow pack them together).

Hoping you two see my double SOS so I can figure out what to do. Thanks to Prime I don't have to worry about their arriving by his birthday but I'd so relied on your expertise I thought I was through with this chore (pleasant but a chore nonetheless, as not being a musician I don't trust my own judgment.)

Meanwhile, off to double check what books he already has. I had thought it was only the Suzuki series followed by sheet music, but suspect I've forgetten...

IIRR the books I suggested can be ordered directly from the publisher or at any music store. But if Amazon is your only option, then just get the first 4 books and wait and see if he's using them before you get the rest.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21344 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

IIRR the books I suggested can be ordered directly from the publisher or at any music store. But if Amazon is your only option, then just get the first 4 books and wait and see if he's using them before you get the rest.

Please glance at my post most immediately above yours - I was tending toward the Four Star series (for the reasons I said) and don't know how to order them.

You're probably right, though, that I'd be better off ordering only the first few - hoping they're at the right level (I see that series is costlier than the first one as each level involves purchasing four books, each one more expensive than those in the first series too.)

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Hello, helpers especially pique and SK,

I've done a lot of checking out prices, return policies etc and had a serious talk with myself about the risk that I might be overloading my son at the same time I took his initiative away from him (so important). After all, it was crucial that he himself bought the digital piano when HE was ready.

So I sent him your (plural) comments and book names, following up with a conversation.

He decided on a sight reading series after examining the early books in the two series (both of which look superb), proclaiming it a "strong winner" - beginning with the first four. He seems to have felt the early books in all cases were too basic despite the time lapse. We'll see.

Actually, I think the main thing is for HIM to get back to playing on his own terms and take it from there. If he remains enthusiastic, I sure have a superb list of the very best references for the future (and perhaps before ordering them, he can examine them - somehow - in depth, so as to see where he might best begin.

I feel like I dodged a bullet (at least I hope I did) - and thank both of you for hinting strongly in this direction - that he had to see what felt right for him. His level and his goals. Also, reinforcing what SK said about how difficult it is to buy piano literature for a formerly proficient player!

(For the record, he said he iS interested in learning to play other kinds of music than only classical! So much for my insight into him...)

His piano development was a major decision in my parenting him (it was entirely his choice to take music lessons and what instrument to study) - financially and in time investment. For one thing, the Suzuki method INSISTS a parent take lessons with the child. Also supervise practice! Between that, piano camp, much attendance at concerts, and purchasing three (now four) pianos, it was a major aspect of his childhood enrichment.

It was also heartbreaking for me, when due to emotional trauma, he dropped it suddenly (I just said "OK", but it nearly killed me!). Hard for his teacher too, who was grooming him for major competitions (He already won a few on the state level). Too painful to elaborate on what happened around the time he quit, but hard as it is to believe, it had nothing to do with piano.

Bad times, apparently gone for good - especially if he DOES returns to the piano. I had always hoped the piano would be at the very least, a source of self-expression for him and it looks like that wish may indeed come true.

Thank you both again, for your sensitive guidance and suggestions. (And wtg too who found listings I was powerless to!)
I'll keep you posted on where this goes.