well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    SK, Bernard, Others: SOS! Need Recommendations for Music Theory etc, books for son, please!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SK, Bernard, Others: SOS! Need Recommendations for Music Theory etc, books for son, please!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
I'm thrilled that the son on whose behalf I joined PW so long ago, is finally (on his own!) returning to piano playing. It helps that he recently purchased a high quality electronic piano (all he can fit in his shared apartment in the Bay Area).

I made a big effort to file/save miscellaneous references you all (pianists) posted to one another here. However, I discovered (for the nth time) that computer files can get lost just as well if not more so than paper files.

His birthday is coming up and I want to order some of the above for him.

Could you please re-recommend favorites previously posted?

To describe him as a pianist: he's very talented but unfortunately since I made the mistake of beginning him with a Suzuki instructor at six, he never really learned to sight read, much less anything about music theory.

Even when he moved on to be protege of a PSU piano prof in his early teens, he never really made up for that great gap in his early music education. I don't want to overload him (especially as he has a lot of responsibilities in demanding new job), but I hope to entice him to study some of the old missed material at this transition point.

Granted, it would be best of all for him to sign up with an excellent teacher but:

a) Long-distance, I couldn't arrange lessons
b) I couldn't afford it anyhow.

(I think I WILL get him another metronome for starters and also send him those handy finger exercisers cluttering up my drawers - they helped so much in his dexterity. Also wondering if there's any lamp I could find him - one that might work with an electronic piano, on it or floor-standing.)

Those enthusiastic recommendations stick in my mind most of all, though!

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Can't help on theory, but you may want to check about the metronome. Many digital pianos have them built in....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Good suggestion, wtg.

But as for the rest of you - PLEASE! His birthday is just around the corner!

Seems to me SK and Bernard were prime Music Theory "suggestors" back when titles were being bandied about. May add their names to thread title.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What kind of piano does he have? Almost all (or probably all) Yamaha digital pianos have a built-in metronome, but you need a chart to use it. There's a button on the far left that says metronome, you press and hold that while pressing different keys (like C2, D2) for the time signature and then the tempo setting. It's cumbersome but not impossible. But I ended up buying a stand-alone metronome which I used until I got a metronome app on my phone. Now I use that (good thing too, because I no longer have a digital piano Smiler

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to post that before writing about the music theory question.

Ok, so here are my thoughts about this as someone who came to piano as an adult but had had music lessons off and on for many years prior (clarinet and later classical guitar). I think this is relevant because your son probably has a lot of passive knowledge of music, so he's not a true beginner. But at the same time, he may have significant holes in his knowledge which prevent him from effectively progressing outside of the context of lessons.

The false-beginner is probably the hardest person to buy for, by the way.

So first of all, the thing I would want to know is, what does he want to accomplish? Does he want to be able to play music from a score? Does he want to play either classical music or modern contemporary piano (because both of these can be accomplished by reading from a score). If so, he doesn't need music theory books so much as he needs sightreading books.

On the other hand, if he wants to play jazz, rock or popular, or accompany himself signing, then he needs some method book (books) which will introduce chords, how to play from lead sheets etc.

Or, maybe he truly wants to undertake a comprehensive study of music. In that case, and probably only in the case (IMO) he needs some traditional music theory books.

What is his playing level right now? What kind of music does he play? Does he have any method books?

It's not nearly as fun as buying an actual item, but you might consider getting him an Amazon gift card and having him pick out his own book. Alternatively you could get a gift card for SheetMusicPlus.com.

So, none of this is probably very helpful.

I will say that Alfred's all-in-one course is usually highly regarded.

If scales are going to be a part of his practice routine, this is my absolute favorite scale book and the only one I use anymore:

https://www.amazon.com/Complet...a-435612198121&psc=1

Regarding method books, here's an article that introduces each of the series that I would recommend for someone wanting a method book. Any of these, Alfred's, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures, or the Hal Leonard one, would probably be very good:

https://www.onlinepianocoach.c...adult-beginners.html

And here's one I hadn't heard of: "Alfred’s: I Used to Play the Piano" (see article for link), just from the title, that might be good for your son.

Also, whenever possible, get something that includes either a CD or link to MP3s (the link option is preferable these days).

Ok, I don't know if any of this is helpful, but good luck!!

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok, one more.

https://www.amazon.com/Alfreds...17111&s=books&sr=1-4

I own this book. I didn't finish it. Or even get very far into it. Leaving

I am probably not a good person to give advice for someone like your son though, because I never learned by a Suzuki method and have always been very score-oriented and a very confident reader. That means I've learned mostly through repertoire and choosing progressively more difficult pieces.

Oh, I have also had piano lessons off and on, more on until last year, so obviously that is one very big difference. So my piano studies have been more atheoretical, on the one hand, but very much focused on playing from written music.

Once I get a little more money saved after our recent big expenditures (house, grand piano), I want to start taking jazz piano lessons. I expect then I will need to start paying more attention to theory!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I worked through the "Fundamentals of Piano Theory" workbooks. They have ten progressive workbooks, levels 1-10. I found them very accessible. Keith Snell and Martha Ashleigh are the authors.

Also have a look at the Four Star series for sight reading and ear tests, daily exercises. This is also a progressive series published by Frederick Harris. I had a lot of trouble reading and the short, daily, progressive assignments helped a lot.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
In between activities, but just wanted to say how excited I am at SK and pique's suggestions. Many many thanks!!

For the record, I don't think I'll give him a gift certificate to Amazon as he already has Amazon Prime and if I'm not mistaken, orders a shocking amount from there on pretty much a daily basis.

(He signed me on as joint user for ages, and even without peeking - merely searching for my old orders, etc., I saw his. All I can say is Crissamighty!?! HairRaising I must have failed sadly to teach him the value of money. Frowner ).

He has an Amazon Wish List but I used that last year and it was a dead loss. Ordered a nice leather jacket he had noted (and against my better judgment, in the small size he requested as an "incentive". Ha!)

He barely managed to return it in time to get credit and only much later - recently - got something else with it, to "remember me by".

That's another reason I wracked my brains to think of something he hasn't already gotten himself - or another item on that list, which he's so "curated" (THe first time I've used that word, hopefully correctly. Big Grin)

Anyhow, you guys REALLY helped. I'm so happy he's finding his way back to this outlet. (Answer to SK's question about his musical goals _ pretty sure for the foreseeable, he wants to "just" focus on recapturing his mastery of old pieces. I.e, classical.)

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Well, here I am on Amazon (no music publishing houses?) and, naturally, running into trouble.

Firstly, to SK. I put some chords and other technique books in the cart, but I wanted to add the so-called "Alfred's" "I used to play the piano" because I know the Alfred books are good and it also includes a CD. (In fact, I'd best check the books on his piano to make sure I'm not duplicating anything). Twice now, though, I've clicked on the link only to be switched (sic) to a book edited by someones named Lancaster and MCarthur. I don't like the looks of it (kind of cutesy) and furthermore it especially notes it runs the gamut of "jazz boogie blues and ragtime". I have no reason to think he likes any of these, thoough perhaps Om prejudiced because I don't. I'm mystified - and disappointed. Seems like a coding glitch.

And pique, I was keen on ordering that series of ten you recommended by Keith Snell and Martha Ashleigh, but once more have run into trouble on Amazon. Unless I'm mistaken, they only carry them up to book four - pretty far from ten though there are other publications mentioned by them singly or together.

Or have they consolidated the original ten to so few? Again, disappointed. Frowner

I was all set to send the order off including wrapping (if they can somehow pack them together).

Hoping you two see my double SOS so I can figure out what to do. Thanks to Prime I don't have to worry about their arriving by his birthday but I'd so relied on your expertise I thought I was through with this chore (pleasant but a chore nonetheless, as not being a musician I don't trust my own judgment.)

Meanwhile, off to double check what books he already has. I had thought it was only the Suzuki series followed by sheet music, but suspect I've forgetten...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure there's any kind of switch going on with the I Used to Play Piano.

Here's the book on Alfred's site:

https://www.alfred.com/i-used-...r-course/p/00-22166/.

It's the same as the one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Used-Pl...b4928bab27282e58604a

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts about the series by Julie McIntosh "Basics of Keyboard Theory" which she says is geared to students who've studied six or seven years. My son (albeit fifteen years ago) studied for eight - nine years.

I like the binding! suave Looks serious. Smiler

Meanwhile, I've succeeded in finding pique's series up to Book Six so far, though from four on they appear to be sheet music. (WHY is book four well over thirty bucks when all the previous one ran $6.50 - $8.50??). Perhaps I'll find the more advanced books by more sophisticated hunting on Amazon.

Again, somehow I expected the good theory books to be found at specialized music publication houses. (But of course, I suppose Amazon has taken over all markets...)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
And pique, I was keen on ordering that series of ten you recommended by Keith Snell and Martha Ashleigh, but once more have run into trouble on Amazon. Unless I'm mistaken, they only carry them up to book four - pretty far from ten though there are other publications mentioned by them singly or together.

I think this is the set:

https://www.amazon.com/Piano-T...%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-10

edit: Shipping time frame might not meet your needs

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Thank YOU, wtg!! ThumbsUp
And, yes, I see they aren't covered under Prime shipping. (And I'll bet they can't be wrapped.)

Starting to fear excessive purchases may risk turning him off considering his "prodigal pianist"
turn around is so recent and perhaps fragile.

Remembering times I've loaded up on his or my "favorite foods" only for one or the other to feel a sense of nausea when looking at the stashes...

Hmm. Where to cut back? Wondering too with pique's series just how the sequence progresses. I.e., are they graduated in difficulty or subject matter?

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
And yes, wtg, you're right that there was no switch with the Alfred. I mistakenly thought Alfred was the author.

Just noticed son has "Complete school of technic for the piano" by Isador Philipp (pub by Presser) with a "12" written by the series. If there IS a series of twelve I may be starting too simple for him. Think he has the famous "Hanon books" too.

This Philipps book (a classic I see) is alarming - not only a complete podge of arpeggios and mixed flats and sharps that would seem to demand more than two hands - but they're printed VERY small (something I see other consumers have criticized too.) Without "squishing" the notes together, though - their words - one would need someone to turn the pages, given the speed of the music.

(No wonder he didn't get far into it. Guess it was a requirement of the piano prof.)

I think I'd best stop here with pique's set plus one collection of Baroque and Classical pieces, along with a strong encouragement to return anything he feels is too overwhelming for now. Otherwise, the whole idea may backfire badly like so many good intentions. (Is a digital piano apt to include a quality recorder?)

But saving all this for future reference!!

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
As someone who has worked through to the end of books in the past, but who also owns a lot of method books that I've never used, or only completed a few pages of, I would say don't buy an entire set without knowing that he likes that method or approach.

I totally understand the temptation, but maybe just get one or at most two (if you get two, perhaps get one each of two different series/methods?) Then if he likes it, he can continue at his own pace, get the next one in the series etc.

Just my two yen.

Keep us posted! Smiler