well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What kind of TV should MR. SK get
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of TV should MR. SK get
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Amazon Prime Day is coming up, and Mr. SK is wondering if any of their cheap TVs are worth getting or if he should wait. Here's one originally $300 for $180.00:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...d=ANSF0RE9FUP82&th=1

He wants a new TV because our current one is 11 years old and something like 24 inches, and he wants a larger screen and possibly a smart TV. We have a big chunk of points on Amazon that we could use, or we could wait.

So has anyone bought a TV recently? Any thoughts about HD vs. 4K UHD? HDR?

If we get a smart tv, do we want one from Amazon (b/c presumably that gives us access to more streaming options?) Can we still have our cable box hooked up to it (so we can watch the Japanese channel, which isn't available through streaming yet).

Is it silly to buy a 43 inch smart TV that's in the $300 price range? (I think that's the original price of the one that's on sale at Amazon). IOW, should we wait and get a slightly more expensive model? Neither of us want to get something that's super expensive, but we're not sure if there's a reason to avoid the super cheap models.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The TV you referenced is Toshiba and $179 now.
Grab it.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's a very, very good deal, but always check Costco first.

Costco currently has a 43 inch Samsung (better brand than Toshiba) for $200. (The same television currently costs $18 more at Amazon.)

And Costco adds a year to the manufacturer warranty, and allows returns within 90 days with no restocking fee.

https://www.costco.com/Samsung...ElsPlGGulO3yeBP2TpMP

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks y’all, I’ll tell Mr. SK.

Also we need to figure out how close the nearest Costco is, not close I think...

If anyone else has additional comments please share!

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Closest is 31 miles.

Signed, your personal Costco shopper.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I bought the smallest Smart TV that would fit on my cabinet..I am not one to have a huge screen.

But I have to say the Smart TV rocks...I now watch most TV online..Youtube has gotten really good....Netflix and Amazon Prime as well (Prime on a trial so I could watch Mrs. Maisel Big Grin )

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Quirt Ole
It’s a little farther from where we actually live, but that’s ok. I thought we had to go the other direction. Also, no wonder I didn’t know it was there, I avoid that area like the plague because it’s traffic jam central and I know several people who have gotten in car accidents there. We went there once (maybe that’s where Whole Foods is, cant remember) but since then i never want to go anywhere near there.

BL thanks!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Costco delivers, maybe to your area?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Costco delivers

Eeker This changes everything!!!!!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I think the television I linked is warehouse only. But yes, Costco delivers.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We haven’t become members because we never go there, but if delivery is an option...

P.S. Quirt I PMed you Smiler

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
New TVs are amazingly light in weight
just sayin'

quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
[QUOTE]Costco delivers

Eeker This changes everything!!!!![/QUOTE

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Are we gettin’ our signals crossed BL? Ole

I never physically go to the area where Costco is, but if they deliver, I might consider becoming a member. (Not because I was concerned about not being able to get the TV home myself. We drive a Honda Fit, it can fit anything!! Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They deliver like Amazon delivers, via a delivery service like UPS. Only it's not in two days. Big Grin You can return to the warehouse or back via the service; not sure if you pay for return shipping. I have a warehouse five minutes from me....

It's good to take a look at some TVs in person, like at Best Buy if there's one close to you. You can compare 4K and 8K and HD to see if it makes a huge difference to you. I find that the kind of stuff I watch isn't even available in 4K. If you have an 11 year old 24" TV, it might be 720p (vs today's higher resolution HD), and the bigger size screen will already seem like a huge upgrade over your current unit.

Also remember that some internet connections have data limits and the really high resolution stuff eats up data like crazy when you're streaming.

Check viewing angles if you think you might be watching it from the side in addition to straight on. Some of the cheaper models don't have great viewing angles.

Smart TV is great, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of Amazon products and the Toshiba you linked is a Fire TV. Just be sure the channels you're streaming havie an app available on the smart TV you're buying. If all else fails, you can always buy a ROku or whatever; they're not that expensive.

Also screen size. Figure out your approximate viewing distance at home and bring a tape measure to the store. Find a couple of different sizes of TVs and measure back to where you'd be watching from if it were in your home.

I like Samsung TVs and buying from Costco. The 90 return period is great.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That’s all super helpful WTG!! Thank you!

We’ll see if we can go by a store tomorrow or this weekend and see some in person.

I’ll have to check our internet package, I don’t know what the limits are. Thanks for the tip!!