well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Update your Apple Inc. devices (2021 Sep.)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update your Apple Inc. devices (2021 Sep.)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...e-new-exploit-apple/

Get your Apple Inc. devices updated. The company just released a big bunch of security updates on 2021 September 13 that closed some rather important security holes for macOS, Safari, watchOS, iOS, iPadOS.

Short version is that CoreGraphics and WebKit has security holes that allow arbitrary code to be run when processing/displaying PDF file or web content, which may be triggered when apps like iMessage “previews” a message sent to you without you clicking/tapping on anything.

Report is these security holes are being exploited, including by state actors.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I updated my phone. My iMac runs an older generation of OS; do I still have to update it?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Don't panic. It's a big vulnerability but they don't expect that it would be exploited against the average person.

But do update.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Did it last night.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Updates always slow my iMac down so much

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Jack: Of course, because the updates load on all this other stuff that interfaces with new products that were introduced since your previous update.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post