well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anyone Refinancing ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Refinancing ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Now is a Good Time

We refinanced a home loan at 3.25% today, down from 4.6%.

I suspect a lot of people are going to have more disposable income over the next decade.

This is frequently one of the "problems" of a recession. People who need labor income the most are losing it while people who are privileged enough to be worrying about things like refinancing a home loan are doing better.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Nice! Congratulations!
Was it the same term length (e.g., 30 yrs —> 30 yrs) or with a shortened term (e.g., 30 yrs —> 15 yrs) ?

quote:
People who need labor income the most are losing it while people who are privileged enough to be worrying about things like refinancing a home loan are doing better.
Yeap, the renters get no such break. It’s unlikely that the landlord will reduce the rent just because the landlord refinanced to a lower rate.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
No, we kept the 30 year term. Rates on 15 year are in the 2.8% range. But the slight gain there requires much bigger monthly payments, and when money is nearly free why do that?

On the landlord question, I would expect lower interest rates to have some effect on moderating rent increases over time. Interest is part of the cost structure of rental housing, and anything that decreases cost is likely to get passed along to consumers over time in any area where the market has some semblance of competition.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We're sort of doing it. It's not a full-on refi, but what they're terming a "mortgage modification." Basically we're lowering our rate, keeping everything else the same (mortgage company, etc.) and thus we can avoid the costs associated with a full-in refi and instead pay a flat rate.

Like you, we're sticking with a 30-year, and for the same reasons.

Ax, if it makes you feel better, mortgage rates on rental properties are much higher than on primary residences, and when we cost out the difference between today's rental rate and previous, it wasn't worth doing (we own half a duplex as a rental property).

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We refinanced after about 5 years, but went from a 30 to a 15 since rates were so low and we could afford the larger payment. When our daughter entered college, we refi'd again on the 15 year term but kept making the prior level of payment. We just wanted the ability to go to a much lower payment on the much lower balance if we needed to. Paid the house off in about 20 years. I like being debt free.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Our loan on our first home (where we currently live full time in VA) was a 15-year from the get go.

There are certainly some advantages of going to 15. We decided to preserve the flexibility of lower monthly payments as the norm, but we can always pay down extra principal in any month where we feel like it. And we set up bi-weekly payments, which amounts to paying an extra month's worth of principal per year. That effectively shortens the term by about 8 years right there.

We have enough equity in the first place to get rid of the mortgage on the second place if/when we decide to relocate permanently.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I love having choices. That's what money is to me..freedom and choices.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post