well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Clinic Implanted Wrong Embryos after IVF
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clinic Implanted Wrong Embryos after IVF
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised it hasn't happened before. In fact, I'm sure it has but this time it was clearcut owing to the racial disparity.

Kind of complicated too to explain to the unexpected kids why so much money changed hands. Feeling unwanted?

The really complicated goofs (and there are so many permutations) would be when the procedure HAS involved the DNA contribution of one of the wannabe parents. For example, a sperm bank or borrowed egg. IOW a combination mistake baby, which IS related to one of the couple partners.

(And, to digress, when mistakes involve a birth defect.)

When my first son was born he was sent to me wearing FOUR bracelets, one for each limb. A bit of over-kill in precautions after a recent baby mix-up in that hospital.

At least, in this instance, they found out right away - again, only because of the racial clue. The most agonizing errors are when babies are assigned to the wrong parents after birth and the error only turns up years later - sometimes after they're grown.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:

Edit, yes, the babies are not siblings. How on earth does THAT happen?!!

I'm guessing you don't mean scientifically, right? Because scientifically, it's easy to understand. Two eggs (of different mothers) were fertilized (with sperm from two different fathers), and the implanted in a third mother.

So, someone screwed up not once, not twice, but three times??? That's absolutely horrible!

No, I meant how did they manage to get the embryos from two different sets of people implanted into the third, as I would think the embryos of each client would all be grouped together somehow, colored labels, same container, SOMETHING that identifies them together. I mean, you’d have to do that, right? That means somebody *really* screwed up. Or maybe they did it on purpose?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20401 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
And . . . The clinic can simply declare bankruptcy, close, and open back up the next day with a new corporate identity. So that there is no entity to pay a settlement.

Next horror story, please . . .

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
And . . . The clinic can simply declare bankruptcy, close, and open back up the next day with a new corporate identity. So that there is no entity to pay a settlement.

Next horror story, please . . .
If the clinic has malpractice insurance, would the insurance policy active at the time of malpractice not still be on the hook to pay the claim even after the clinic declared bankruptcy?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12676 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The clinic also has assets, including receivables.

Posts: 12484 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That means somebody *really* screwed up.

That's what I was thinking, like how could there not be procedures in place to prevent something like this happening.

quote]Or maybe they did it on purpose?[/quote]
Eeker

That's horrible to think about, but unfortunately not totally beyond the realm of possibility.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18301 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes, unrelated embryos planted in the same womb. That made me sit up.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post