well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Clinic Implanted Wrong Embryos after IVF
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clinic Implanted Wrong Embryos after IVF
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...s-ivf-birth-lawsuit/

Fertility clinic did IVF then implanted the wrong embryos into a woman. After birth, tests confirmed that neither newborn is genetically related to either parent who participated in the original IVF procedure. The couple has relinquished custody of the newborns. Now there is a lawsuit.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Omg. Those poor people. And what is going to happen to the babies?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Apparently they were turned over to their biological parents.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Holy fvcking ****.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If the facts are anything close to what is alleged, this won't go to trial. There will be a very large settlement. Very large.

Hope the clinic is well insured. Hope the insurers have offset some of the liability with reinsurers ...

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the natural parents who suddenly got a surprise "gift" also have a good reason to sue.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What a nightmare for all involved!

Also, how will they handle explaining "you were an accident." ... Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, how awful. I assume at some point you would have to tell the kids (if for no other reason than to ensure they don't hear it from some random source). Yes, what a nightmare.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope they get to pocket the entire amount of the settlement, minus attorney fees and not some reduced negotiated amount.

A local guy got a $100 million verdict from a negligent helicopter company recently. Want to ask his mother whether he got the full amount. Not sure whether asking would be rude.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Oh, and the natural parents who suddenly got a surprise "gift" also have a good reason to sue.

Yes. At the very least the cost of raising and educating that child, but preferably a lot more. Unbelievable.

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
a $100 million verdict

I read something a while back that often people don't actually end up receiving the initially reported verdict amount. For example, the woman in the MacDonald's coffee burn scandal was initially awarded $2.86 million, and of course that was the number that got all the publicity. But the ultimate amount after appeals etc, was $640,000, despite the woman needing two years of medical care etc...

Sorry for the thread drift....

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
On the topic of having a good reason to sue... There's so much! The woman who spent 9 months pregnant and gave birth (to twins), so now she has to do a "do-over" and go through pregnancy again? Which may or may not end with the birth of healthy child(ren)? There are no guarantees...

And the other parents? Robbed of the chance to have the pregnancy, and suddenly finding themselves parents to not one but two unexpected babies, for whom they weren't prepared...

There's so much more, but just these alone, you can go back and do those things over.

Ugh. It's really heartbreaking for all involved.

And as to the mix up, it's like "you had one job, one job..."
-_-

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the article said the babies were not related to each other? Or am I imagining that?

Edit, yes, the babies are not siblings. How on earth does THAT happen?!!

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Wonder where that couples embryos are?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Pretty sure the article said the babies were not related to each other? Or am I imagining that?

OMG so it's even worse! That means those two babies, who were in the womb together, are now apart, with their respective biological parents, right? And then they'll probably grow up the way twins do when they're raised apart, keenly feeling the absence of each other. Frowner

quote:
Edit, yes, the babies are not siblings. How on earth does THAT happen?!!

I'm guessing you don't mean scientifically, right? Because scientifically, it's easy to understand. Two eggs (of different mothers) were fertilized (with sperm from two different fathers), and the implanted in a third mother.

So, someone screwed up not once, not twice, but three times??? That's absolutely horrible!