well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Buttigieg at HRC touches on identity politics
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buttigieg at HRC touches on identity politics
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obama and Buttiege can't win no matter what you do.

Based on this thread, I tend to agree.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Maybe because the dinner is a private fund raiser and they can do whatever they want?

It’s not a question of who can do what, it’s about what he believes and whether that can get him to 270. I can’t imagine him staking out the principle he described and then carving out an exclusion for public displays. Maybe I’m wrong.

And maybe I’m wrong about the broader point. Maybe someone can carry PA, OH, WI, FL with that message. But I doubt it.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
He could have easily explained changing the name of the dinner without staking out broad beliefs about whom a society should honor and whom it shouldn’t.

How easy - and true - would it have been to say something like “‘Jackson and Jefferson’ isn’t really how we think of the Democratic Party in 2019. We should make the name of our annual fundraiser something more in line with the spirit of the party today”

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post