well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Buttigieg at HRC touches on identity politics
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buttigieg at HRC touches on identity politics
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I haven't found his discussions of sexuality obsessive or "harping on it." He is constantly being asked about the issue, and he answers questions. His answers get news coverage. That process ramps up peoples' impression of how much he talks about it.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
What problem did he articulate in your words please?

1) That identity politics can tear the party apart from within and we need to guard against that. 2) That the right is using identity politics to tear the nation apart.

We didn't hear it the same way. I heard him say there is a crisis of belongimg. Then I heard no details, no specifics, and nothing about policy to address a problem he himself defined.

Posts: 24687 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I haven't found his discussions of sexuality obsessive or "harping on it." He is constantly being asked about the issue, and he answers questions. His answers get news coverage. That process ramps up peoples' impression of how much he talks about it.

I'm referring to speeches, not interviews. I haven't seen him talking about it in interviews.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21315 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"Pete Buttigieg, Cute Gay Moments"

https://youtu.be/XIznSbky-Aw

I think a lot of the way he deals with the issue of being an openly gay man running for president relates to the fact he's 37.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
When you're black, it is visible. Obama didn't have to say anything.

He was criticized for not talking about it more. And had he done so, he would have been accused of wearing it on his sleeve.

Obama and Buttiege can't win no matter what you do.

Posts: 19760 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Holy sh1t.

Removing public honors from Thomas Jefferson?

Does anyone really think that’s our path to 270 electoral votes?

https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/...d-buildings-renamed/

He has a compelling bio and a good temperament, but it might be time to write him off.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Holy sh1t.

Removing public honors from Thomas Jefferson?

Does anyone really think that’s our path to 270 electoral votes?

https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/...d-buildings-renamed/

He has a compelling bio and a good temperament, but it might be time to write him off.

The source. Fox, Breitbart, NYPost, they're all running wild with what he actually said. Mayor Pete was talking specifically about "JJ" dinners.

quote:
Speaking on a nationally syndicated radio show, Mr Buttigieg was asked whether the Democrats’ Jefferson-Jackson dinners be renamed across the US because both were holders of slaves.

“Yeah, we’re doing that in Indiana. I think it’s the right thing to do,” Mr Buttigieg told The Hugh Hewitt Show, referring to his home state.

quote:
Democratic party organisers in several states, including Georgia, Connecticut and Missouri, have removed the names of Jefferson and Jackson from their annual fundraising dinners – informally known as “JJs” – in recent years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/...ocrats-a8920616.html

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10566 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
When you're black, it is visible. Obama didn't have to say anything.

He was criticized for not talking about it more. And had he done so, he would have been accused of wearing it on his sleeve.

Obama and Buttiege can't win no matter what you do.

I think Obama did that piece of it just right. I was very excited to have a first black president and it's one of the reasons I knocked on doors for him. Had he kept pointing out that he's black, it would have made it sound like black people are his primary constituency, and that turns off everyone who isn't black. Buttigieg is starting to sound like lbqt constituents mean more to him than others, and no matter how much I support civil rights for everyone, that doesn't fly with me.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The ny post is not my idea of a reliable source. Thanks for correcting the record, bernard.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
He describes himself as a millennial.

Ok with me but what happened to generations x, y, and z being in the lexicon?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’d love to be wrong, but I’m not sure how he can support removing his name from a fundraising dinner but not buildings and streets. I’m not sure what principle distinguishes the two cases.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
More context from Buttrigieg's full response:

“There’s a lot of course to admire in his thinking and his philosophy,” said Mr Buttigieg. “Then again if you plunge into his writings, especially the Notes on the State of Virginia, you know that he knew slavery was wrong – and yet he did it.”

The South Bend mayor insisted the renaming of events was not about “blotting him out of the history books or deleting him from being [one of] the founding fathers”, but was a question of which things you decided to honour.

“The real reason I think there is a lot of pressure on this is the relationship between the past and present that we’re finding in a million different ways that racism isn’t some curiosity out of the past that we’re embarrassed about but moved on from,” the Democrat added.

“It’s alive, it’s well, it’s hurting people and it’s one of the main reasons to be in politics today is to try to change or reverse the harms that went along with that. We better look for ways to live out and honour that principle.”

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah read that. How would that principle apply to a dinner and not to a street or building?

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Maybe because the dinner is a private fund raiser and they can do whatever they want?

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Mayor Pete has started listing some policy statements on his web site... https://peteforamerica.com/issues/

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10566 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post