well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Arts and Crafts

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/4683961897

18 March 2023, 12:05 PM
Steve Miller
Arts and Crafts
Here a few of the craft projects I've been working on over the winter.

This vise was a rusted mess but it's American made (Ohio!) and it was $10 at the yard sale. Ca. 1950

Someone gave me this snowblower, not running and leaking oil. I've never worked on one before - kind of cool how it works. I got to use my Arizona BLM lanyard to hold the key:

These lanterns sat outside for years and were covered in rust. They're steel, not copper, so I used some "patina paint" on them. Got to use a Dremel tool for the first time. I like the way they came out.

Found the little Weller planter at a local antique place. Nothing real special about this project - I'm posting the picture because I like the lighting.

Picked up these little sailboats various places. It's remarkable how cheap they are for such nice work. Cleaned them up and glued parts back on:

What have you been doing?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

18 March 2023, 01:15 PM
big al
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Found the little Weller planter at a local antique place. Nothing real special about this project - I'm posting the picture because I like the lighting.

Do you have a secret that produces such a big bloom on such a little cactus?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

18 March 2023, 03:35 PM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Do you have a secret that produces such a big bloom on such a little cactus?

Big Al

It’s a “moon cactus”. The flower is grafted on.

Fun to grow, fairly tough. You can see it swell up after you water it. When it shrinks down you water it again - too much water and it will rot.

They sell that at Home Depot and Lowe’s. I had a yellow one in the cup holder of my truck for years in response to VW putting bud vases in Beetles. Cool

18 March 2023, 06:13 PM
Steve Miller
This light fixture hung in Sharon's Grandparents' den for 50 years. Now that Sharon will be vacating the basement I can install it.

ThumbsUp

18 March 2023, 06:20 PM
wtg
Whoa. Are there other accessories from the den that you plan to incorporate into the basement decor?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

18 March 2023, 06:22 PM
Steve Miller
Yes there are. There's a second, similar light fixture for starters. There are also various bits of cowboy paraphernalia.

Sharon has a love/hate relationship with all of it. She remembers seeing it all as a little girl but doesn't really want it in her house. Cool

18 March 2023, 06:26 PM
RealPlayer
Very cool stuff. That lighting fixture with the horns is real man-cave material.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

18 March 2023, 06:28 PM
wtg
I'm doing reverse arts and crafts. I've been bringing items to a consignment shop. They take a 50% cut; their proceeds go to a bunch of great charities. My half is up to $500 so far; almost all of my items have sold....

Win-win!!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training