well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mask PSA
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mask PSA
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
...but how can I really know???
With your battery hand-held scanning electron microscope!

Where did you get yours? Is it UV-C? UV-C only? I'm interested in getting one.

On Amazon in January.

https://www.amazon.com/BRIGHTI...rdrobe/dp/B07TG16PBS

It was a little under $40 - I see it is close to $70 now...

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There's little doubt that wearing a mask isn't slightly uncomfortable. Emphasis on slightly. The phrase "suck it up, buttercup" comes to mind. Evil

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The phrase "suck it up, buttercup" comes to mind

Yes and no.

Yes, the commitment has to be to wear it even if it's less than ideal. But it's ok to make it as comfortable as you can, use trial and error a bit, and then put it on, leave it on and get about your day. There's no reason to suffer if you can make it more comfortable.

And I do think comfort is going to be important if we have any hope (which we currently barely do) for widespread compliance.

At least that's how I see it.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I totally agree! My comments weren't directed at anyone here, but I can see how they could be seen that way. My apologies for anyone who I may have offended with my clumsy comment.

I had just finished reading yet another "but my FREEDOM" article about anti-maskers and that's what was in my mind. Smiler

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
75 and 105 years ago, our grandparents (and great, great-great, etc.) were half-way around the world to fight in wars to preserve our FREEDOM. Crawling through mud with people shooting at you. Not quite as cushy as sitting at home and binging on Netflix.

Avoiding close contact with other people for a few weeks or months and wearing a face mask to keep from spreading a virus you don't know you have is a pretty small SACRIFICE to make.

Yeah, your job is on ice, or may have gone *poof*. But you are alive, and with luck, so are your grandparents (see above).

Suck it up, indeed.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I totally agree! My comments weren't directed at anyone here, but I can see how they could be seen that way. My apologies for anyone who I may have offended with my clumsy comment.

I had just finished reading yet another "but my FREEDOM" article about anti-maskers and that's what was in my mind. Smiler

Thanks Nina, I'm a little on edge because we are very likely going to be required to teach F2F in the fall, and because we had a lecturer quit, and there's a hiring freeze, which means I will be teaching an extra course (sorry tmi probably), so I anticipate I'll be in a mask all day long, teaching in Japanese ..... And I'm trying to make it all as manageable as I can.

But I am very much pro-mask! I wish they would come out and clearly state that they will require students to wear them Frowner

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
75 and 105 years ago, our grandparents (and great, great-great, etc.) were half-way around the world to fight in wars to preserve our FREEDOM. Crawling through mud with people shooting at you. Not quite as cushy as sitting at home and binging on Netflix.

Avoiding close contact with other people for a few weeks or months and wearing a face mask to keep from spreading a virus you don't know you have is a pretty small SACRIFICE to make.

Yeah, your job is on ice, or may have gone *poof*. But you are alive, and with luck, so are your grandparents (see above).

Suck it up, indeed.

And even more recently, and more relevant to civilian life--remember the polio epidemic? That was a pretty extreme form of social distancing, and I don't think anyone whined about it. Maybe the solution isn't to hide COVID victims away from the media....? by that, I mean perhaps show what COVID is, and how it affects people, not just those who are 80+, with comorbidities in nursing homes.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe the solution isn't to hide COVID victims away from the media....? by that, I mean perhaps show what COVID is, and how it affects people, not just those who are 80+, with comorbidities in nursing homes.

I feel like if you pay attention to regular media, you see how covid is affecting people across age ranges etc.

But then again, maybe people pay much less attention to regular media than I realize??
Frowner

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I don't know, it all seems kindof 'invisible'... and I think that is part of the problem!

Our local NPR station has begun reading lists of those that have died and their age.

I think if Fox was showing daily body bags, burials and view inside of hospitals, the national discussion would be a bit different...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Сталин говорил: «Смерть одного человека – трагедия, смерть миллионов — статистика».

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
There's little doubt that wearing a mask isn't slightly uncomfortable.

I’m trying to decipher your double (triple?) negative statement to decide what you are saying!

Evil I’ve been staring at this screen too long...

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post