well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Walmart makes a decision and the NRA isn't happy
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart makes a decision and the NRA isn't happy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Walmart says it will discontinue the sale of handgun ammunition and also publicly request that customers refrain from openly carrying firearms in stores even where state laws allow it.

The announcement comes just days after a mass shooting claimed seven lives in Odessa, Texas and follows two other back-to-back shootings last month, one of them at a Walmart store.

The retail corporation said Tuesday it will stop selling short-barrel and handgun ammunition after it runs out of its current inventory. It will also discontinue handgun sales in Alaska, marking its complete exit from handguns and allowing it to focus on hunting rifles and related ammunition only.

“We know these decisions will inconvenience some of our customers, and we hope they will understand. As a company, we experienced two horrific events in one week, and we will never be the same. Our remaining assortment will be even more focused on the needs of hunting and sport shooting enthusiasts. It will include long barrel deer rifles and shotguns, much of the ammunition they require, as well as hunting and sporting accessories and apparel,” Walmart’s CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo posted on the company’s site.

McMillon also encouraged the “nation’s leaders to move forward and strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger.”

A gun owner himself, McMillon said he’s sending letters to the White House and the Congressional leadership that “call for action on these common sense measures.”

Voicing concern about the spotlight fading on the recent mass shootings, McMillon called on Congress and administration to act.

“We want what’s best for our customers, our associates and our communities. In a complex situation lacking a simple solution, we are trying to take constructive steps to reduce the risk that events like these will happen again. The status quo is unacceptable.”

The National Rifle Association tweeted out their reaction to McMillon’s announcement Tuesday afternoon. “It’s shameful to see Walmart succumb to pressure of anti-gun elites. Lines at Walmart will soon be replaced by lines at other retailers who are more supportive of America’s fundamental freedoms.”

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/...-handgun-ammunition/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That's funny. An organization whose leader drops almost $40,000 on suits on a single shopping trip is calling someone else "elites".

https://crooksandliars.com/201...s-hefty-39k-spending

https://www.gq.com/story/nra-ceo-wayne-lapierre-suits

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wow. I sure didn’t see that one coming.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
On the news they said Walmart currently sells one in five bullets sold in the US. I was shocked.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Kroger is also banning open carry in their stores.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What I wrote on FB: you know it’s bad when Walmart is more willing to implement measures countering gun violence than our actual government.

Still, I think this is good. Not enough by far, but much better than doing nothing!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
#boycottwalmart is trending, but for a lot of people it’s going to be a lot tougher to boycott Walmart than it was to boycott Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Dick’s didn’t suffer much. We shall see how Walmart fares.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Good for them. Saw an open carry dude in his camo with his wife and kids in Walmart when we first got here last summer. It freaked me out a little.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Momentum?

quote:
Walgreens announced Thursday it was asking customers to "no longer openly carry firearms" in its stores. Authorized law enforcement officials would be exempt from the request, the second-largest pharmacy chain, with 9,560 stores, said in a statement.

CVS and Wegmans released similar statements later Thursday.

"The sight of someone with a gun can be alarming, and we don’t want anyone to feel that way at Wegmans," the supermarket chain said in a statement. "For this reason, we prefer that customers not openly carry firearms into our stores."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...penly-carry-n1050166

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Yes, they can ask. Can they enforce? Or is it just a request?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Yes, they can ask. Can they enforce? Or is it just a request?

Depends on state law. I have a vague recollection that a couple of states were talking about prohibiting businesses from barring customers from exercising their god-given right to open carry.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that it is a request because companies don't want to put their employees in a confrontational situation with someone who refuses.

I think Illinois was the last state to allow concealed carry. Not sure how it pans out legally, but around here I see these signs pretty often, mostly at churches and municipal buildings like village hall and the library.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Saw some open carry kooks in a restaurant in Phoenix, thanked the hostess and got the hell out. I don’t have a specific problem with their rights but I don’t have to dine with them.

Sue me.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
In Texas...

quote:
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says he's "willing to take an arrow" and defy the National Rifle Association by pressing Texas to close one loophole in gun-purchaser background checks.

On Friday, Patrick said it's "common sense" to tighten background-check laws because in many instances, stranger-to-stranger sales now are exempt from the requirement that buyers be vetted through a federal database of people not eligible to purchase firearms.

Patrick wants to protect transfers among family members from triggering a check. He'd also continue to exempt friends, though he acknowledged that could be abused. Patrick, who presides over the Texas Senate, said he's willing to accede to the preferences of senators on whether to maintain that loophole — and if so, exactly how.

But he said Texas must strongly discourage selling guns to strangers without a background check.

"That gap of stranger to stranger we have to close, in my view," Patrick, a staunchly conservative Republican and avid gun-rights advocate, said in an interview with The Dallas Morning News.

"When I talk to gun owners, NRA members and voters, people don't understand why we allow strangers to sell guns to total strangers when they have no idea if the person they're selling the gun to could be a felon, could be someone who's getting a gun to go commit a crime or could be a potential mass shooter or someone who has serious mental issues."

"Look, I'm a solid NRA guy," he said, "but not expanding the background check to eliminate the stranger to stranger sale makes no sense to me and ... most folks."

The NRA responded soon after, calling Patrick's proposals "political gambits" that would "resurrect the same broken, Bloomberg-funded failures that were attempted under the Obama administration."

quote:
On Friday, he issued an emphatic warning to fellow Republicans: To survive and avert Democratic takeovers in Austin and Washington, they must act expeditiously on measures to reduce gun violence.

"Someone in the Republican Party has to take the lead on this," he said.

https://www.dallasnews.com/new...n-background-checks/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Really interesting additional political ramifications of the whole retail/gun sales debate in the NYT yesterday (sorry about the paywall)

How credit cards are used to finance mass shootings

Bottom line:

Banks have algorithms that flag possibly fraudulent use. We've probably all received some sort of notice to authorize an unusual transaction. These same types of algorithms could be used to flag people who buy multiple guns on credit, within a short timeframe, etc. Why does it matter? Many of the mass shootings involved acquiring a stockpile of weapons/ammunition using cc's, which could have, possibly, been flagged and investigated before the purchaser could do the mass shootings.

Banks don't see that as their responsibility, but there may be pressure for them to start doing it since they are the only ones who are in a position to monitor such spending.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post