well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We are "the old days of the internet"

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are "the old days of the internet"
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Y'all, internet forums are no longer a thing. They are "the old days of the internet." According to this article, 34 Early Internet Memories That People Say Only Older Generations Will Remember

quote:
28."Forums. People on Reddit right now seem to think they’re being persecuted if they get warned or banned from a subreddit.

"Back in the day, you had individual forums. And if you wanted to stay there, you did what the owner’s rules said. Because nobody gave a **** if you thought you were unfairly banned. And it was difficult to find alternative forums, so you had to deal with it."

We are "early internet memories"
WhoMe

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hey, we're even mentioned by name in that article.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We are the old. days of the internet

FIFY.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, seven years before TNCR, internet forii were, and still are hobbies of mine. Ok, it's only WTF these days. Yeah, "forum" changed to, "message board" in the lexicon. I don't care. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Kids these days are using all sorts of other methods that mimic internet forums - TikTok, instagram, twitter. When the owner can include or remove a "follower," I don't see the difference in practical terms between these methods and internet forums.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
We are the old. days of the internet

FIFY.

ROTFLMAO

quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Kids these days are using all sorts of other methods that mimic internet forums - TikTok, instagram, twitter. When the owner can include or remove a "follower," I don't see the difference in practical terms between these methods and internet forums.

Nina, I actually think the differences are huge between forums (fora) like WTF and PW and social networking sites like TikTok, Instagram, and also FB.

Discussion forums are topic-driven, and text-based. TikTok, Insta, and FB are driven by individual poster's accounts, and are not text-based but more image or video-based.

This distinction could be further fleshed out, but I think the differences are actually enormous and represent some fundamental difference in style of interaction...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm addicted to Tik Tok. "Shorts" made up the first films. But, yeah. I never comment.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"Fora." I stand corrected.

BTW, I removed Instagram from my phone. It wouldn't stop sending me notifications no matter how hard I tried to stop it. I liked looking at it sometimes but the non-stop notifications were a deal breaker.