well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lake Mead

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lake Mead
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted

https://earthobservatory.nasa....-mead-keeps-dropping

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
How low can you go?!

The Great Salt Lake in Utah is also dropping. Back in the 1980s, it rose so high that they had to raise the railroad track that runs across it and build a pumping station to take water out and spread it in the desert. It has an interesting longer-term history (see wiki article.).

Climate change, from either natural or man-made causes, can really be a bitch.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's bad and everyone seems to be at a standstill in terms of how to deal with it. The feds recently passed (Trump signed it in 2019 I think) a modified drought contingency plan that would spread the impact of significantly reduced water more equitably--before the new DCP was signed into law, moving into a Tier 1 status (where Arizona currently is) meant virtually cutting off all water for agriculture and significantly hitting tribal communities. But Arizona being as it is, tribal communities included not just obvious areas like reservations, but also major cities like Mesa, Tempe, Phoenix, Gilbert, yada yada. Right now, residents are being asked to voluntarily reduce consumption and do things like fix leaky faucets and toilets. In my opinion, this isn't nearly enough.

In 2007, the stats peeps were predicting the odds of going to a Tier 3 at around 8%. Odds are currently at ~45% to go to Tier 3 in 2023. Having moved to Tier 1 in late June, they're also predicting a move to Tier 2 perhaps as early as August. I'm honestly not sure what Tier 2 means in terms of individual impact, since it's never been invoked.

Water is serious business for folks who rely on the Colorado River (Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and maybe Wyoming?).

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
It's just so distressing to see these kinds of visuals. But also so important, I just hope enough people are paying attention!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Then there's the Rio Not-So-Grande.

quote:
Rio Grande runs dry in Albuquerque for the first time in 40 years

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...r-AAZSFiK?li=BBnb7Kz

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A little odd given how wet the monsoon has been so far. I suspect the culprit is what is happening at the dams upstream. If they are impounding the flow to build up reserves (to fight fires, for instance), that could cause the drying out downstream independent of current rainfall conditions.

That "story" is really just an emotive snippet with no depth.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
You got me curious about the snowpack. Here's an interesting article I found about this winter's snow pack and how it's affecting Lake Mead.

I learned
1. Lake Mead snow pack comes primarily from the Rockies. Had I thought I could've probably figured that one out.
2. This past winter's snow was impressive until February, then nada. So the net overall wasn't as great as hoped.
3. Because the ground is so dry, a lot of the melted water will go into the ground and stay there, rather than flowing down the various pathways to the reservoir.
4. This article was from March. We had a big, unexpected snowfall here in the PNW in early April. I wonder if the Rockies also got hit with that late storm?

Paging CHAS...

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
My home is in D1-moderate drought. Much of the state is in D2 and some is in D3- extreme drought.
Colorado is in better shape than it was. The lake never filled this summer, but there was enough for sailing.
The kayak launch spot I use requires a much longer carry to the water.
Rain expected today. Hoping there will be a lot of rain.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post