well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your Commute?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Commute?
 Login/Join

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
I detest my commute. It is a combination of driving (15 minutes), train ride (50 minutes), and a fair bit of walking (15 minutes), that when combined with time spent waiting for the train ends up being a bit over 90 minutes EACH WAY.

What a delightful way to waste over three hours of my day. Roll Eyes

--------------------------------
[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Always been self emplyed, luckily at home or locally. currently I love my short drives in this beautiful island.

I hate my long highways drives to get materials. Especially when the engine cut out going 60 MPH. Not sure I'll ever get over that...

Lucky you BL!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Wow, I can't believe it's been 5.5 years. I remember when you were first thinking about taking the job. It doesn't seem like 5.5 years ago. suave

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Eeker

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
No work=no commute

When I did, it was about 30 minutes for the last position. I did my commuting early in the morning and late in the evening to avoid gridlock. My worst commute about 20 years ago included 3 expressways - about a 90 minute commute each way. My best commute was a 10 minute in-town commute.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I was averaging about three hours a day the last few years before I retired, which was definitely a factor in my retirement. Public transportation, which I took about half the time, took a little longer but was a little less stressful.

I could cut the commute about in half if I left the house before 5:30 in the morning and got home after 8 PM, which I occasionally did. In many ways, this was also not ideal…

I had a few year interlude quite a while back where I was actually within walking distance of work. It was truly remarkable the number of hours but that added to my day.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We used to live about 3 miles from campus, then we moved, and now we live about 3 miles from campus (but start at a different spot). I will find out this week whether the traffic around here is worse or not (semester is getting started).

Either way, it takes about 7 minutes in no traffic, 10 minutes in traffic.

When I was in grad school I rode the campus bus all the time, it wasn't a very long ride and no transfers. I enjoyed the time listening to music and reading. But there aren't very many public transportation commutes that are so straight forward.

Also, Cindy, what everyone else said! How did 5.5 years pass, just like that??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18491 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Wow, I can't believe it's been 5.5 years. I remember when you were first thinking about taking the job. It doesn't seem like 5.5 years ago. suave
And still there are enormous elements of policing about which I know little.

Take Tasers. Until recently, I thought they worked really well and wondered why officers didn't use them more often.

Then I attended a training on Tasers and realized that they have a lot of draw-backs:

They often cannot penetrate heavy clothing. Good luck if the person is wearing a coat because it's winter.

They fire two darts, both of which have to penetrate the skin.

If the taser user is too close to the target, the darts will land too close to one another to deliver an incapacitating amount of electricity. They will just cause momentary pain until the person yanks them out.

They are too dangerous to use in many situations because of what might happen if the person is incapacitated (e.g. can't be used on someone in water, on elevated platform, holding a child, driving a car/motorcycle, riding a bike).

They can cause grave injury to the person tasered because they cannot protect themselves when they fall, e.g. knocked out teeth, concussions.

It's going to take me many more years to learn all the things. But it's been interesting, that's for sure.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Also surprised at 5.5 years.

Learned a lot about
Tasers. Thanks

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post