well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your Commute?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Commute?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
Talking today to my prospective leader (who happens to be my neighbor), we talked about commutes.

I told her one of the benefits of my job change was the commute.

She told me when traffic was really bad, it would take about 15 minutes. ROTFLMAO

When I told her I was driving more than an hour each way she was.. HairRaising

What is your commute to work each day? Morning the same as evening?

Does this make you rethink you job choice?

I left the office early on Friday at 1:30pm..the traffic was as bad as if it was 5pm...yikes..sigh..

I will not miss that...

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
An hour and a half by public transit (bus, ferry, subway) to midtown Manhattan. Uptown? Even more. Far west or east side? Also more. But I knew that going in, so built it into my mind-set. And I don't have to go in every day.

But no way we could have this luxuriant amount of space closer in. Or a 9 foot grand. We intercom each other from our various rooms.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
RealPlayer, I should have added method of transport.

For me it is driving..

Do you think that public transport allows you time to "work" while commuting?

I do sometimes arrange my drive with conference calls that do not require note taking..If I just need to attend, I can do that in my car.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
HI, Beelady. If I were to drive, it could be a half-hour to 45 minutes. But driving in NY city is such a hassle and then there's the parking issue. I must say, convenient public transit has spoiled me.

Yes, public transit is the only way I get to finish reading the Fri-Sat-Sun NY Times. Or if I have music to go over, I do that on the ferry.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
About 10 minutes if I drive, just under an hour if I take the bus (includes a stop to pick up coffee Smiler ).

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
About 10 minutes as well. I'm about 4.5 miles from work and there isn't much traffic.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
heh.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Does going to the Keurig count as a commute?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Twenty minutes door-to-door on days when I teach or have meetings. Fifteen steps to the recliner in my home office on writing days.

We're on a slight ridge south of town and this place is flat flat flat, so I can see the university from our dining room window. I could see my building, if the temple to the football god football stadium weren't in the way.

If I stand in the right spot in my front yard, I can see downtown Oklahoma City. In fact, the fireworks from Norman, Moore, and OKC are visible from our yard on the Fourth of July and New Year's Eve. But I digress.

The Canadian River forms the southern boundary of Norman and it's quite the psychological barrier for long-time residents. I told a colleague where our house was and she said plaintively, "You bought something across the river?" It was as if I were planning to come to work every day on a Conestoga. Here, we can have an acre for the dogs and space for my garden, and I can still be at work quicker than some people who live in town. I love it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna;s
quote:
temple to the football god
is quite apt.

I must walk the dogs before I can get to my beloved covfefe machine. Then I must feed them. Hear my whine.
It is around 10 miles to an hour to thousands of acres of skiing. Can ride my bike out of the garage and onto the bike path.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I have a 23 minute drive to my school. I’ve had jobs with a 90 minute commute and I’m so happy it’s now shorter.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
45 minute drive. traffic not an issue.

Increasingly, it is 10 steps -- from back door to pool.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I drive. It’s usually about 15 minutes to get to work in the morning and 20 to get home in the afternoon. I can get into the HOV lane on my motorcycle and shave a few minutes off. I haven’t been riding for the last year or so because, reasons.

I once tried public transit - combination of bus and train. Despite living three blocks from the bus stop and working a five minute walk from the train station, it took an hour and 20 minutes and cost more than twice what driving cost even when I had the gas-guzzling Mercedes. The problem there is that I live in one suburb and work in another. The public transit is mostly set up to get people from the suburbs to downtown, so you have to go downtown, then back out to the other suburb.

There is one bus line that winds its way through all the suburbs, but that, too, takes over an hour and I’d have to get one bus from my house to get to the transit center, take the milk-run bus to another transit center, then another bus to the office. If I miss one connection, it can add a half hour or more to the trip.

My second best ever commute was when I was working in London. I’d walk out of the apartment to the end of the block to a tube station. Then it was one train - no changes - and get out at a station two blocks from the office. It was about 40 minutes, but so easy.

My best ever commute was when I was working in Moscow. My apartment was two blocks up and across the street from the office. And because elevators there are pretty sketchy, I walked up and down the stairs to both my third floor apartment and my third floor office. I lost 15 pounds in two months.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
In 5.5 years at DOJ, I have never driven to work.

Commute is 45 minutes door-to-door, via Ride-on bus and Metro.

I commute three days a week (work from home Mondays and Fridays), and I travel about once a week. The total number of days I have commute in is pretty small, thank goodness.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wow, I can't believe it's been 5.5 years. I remember when you were first thinking about taking the job. It doesn't seem like 5.5 years ago. suave

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post