well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Scotus to review CFPB funding

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotus to review CFPB funding
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Interesting. You may recall this funding structure was designed by Elizabeth Warren for the express purpose of not having it be accountable to congress.

https://www.consumerfinancemon...ase-until-next-term/

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The Fed is self-funding, and the SEC pushed for self-funding for years, using registration fees (I don't recall whether they succeeded).

Posts: 45729 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Kind of beside the point, but kind of not - for those of you who have Netflix, I highly recommend their short series on Madoff - pretty sure it's just called "Madoff."

After watching that, it's clear that we need not only stronger regulations but stronger oversight on the regulators. The fox guarding the henhouse and all that.

Posts: 35370 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I saw that, it was very absorbing. Much I had forgotten or didn’t know.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I watched it recently.

Fascinating (and a downer).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It's not clear to me what would happen if they declared the funding mechanism unconstitutional.

Would the Fed have to cease funding immediately? Would CFPB then just bleed out in a few months if Congress didn't appropriate any new monies?

Makes me wonder if this could be one of those instances where Scotus wants to do something but balks based on real-world implications.