well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What to stock if one is going to be ill for a while?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to stock if one is going to be ill for a while?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Good friend of mine wrote this:

https://www.foodandwine.com/li...MVl4t25hgvBgBWTH9G6w

I did this the other day. Especially made sure we had enough of the things that would be uncomfortable to be without, like Kleenex, cat litter, cat food, toilet paper, dish soap and laundry detergent. And I bought some DayQuil/NyQuil tablets. I tend to keep a pretty well stocked pantry normally. I did buy the last box of face masks at Walmart, in case we get sick and need to go out. (I have a horse that needs tending pretty much every day).

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
So, I’m wondering why this wouldn’t work.

I live pretty hand to mouth, probably have about 45 minutes worth of food in the house at any given time. (The catch being I can eat just about any amount of food in 45 minutes…).

I don’t think there’s a very high probability of me getting sick and wanting to quarantine myself. If it does happen, I can get same-day delivery from the local Costco and have them deliver a pallet of peanut butter, soup and oatmeal or whatever. Tipping is done online, so I could have them leave it on the porch and I wouldn’t have to breathe on the delivery person. Obviously more expensive than actually going to Costco, but this is a contingency plan, not something I expect actually happen.

Why not?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Paranoid comment: Do you want to have your food delivered by someone who might be contagious? :P

So we just bought 12-ish cans of soup, two frozen pizzas, two things of pasta and ready-made sauce, some frozen dinners, some crackers and snack-y things... oh and TP and tissues.

Other things we tend to keep on hand in fairly large-ish quantity. Maybe.

I don’t think we have 2 weeks worth of food but it’s a start.

On the subject of hand sanitizer, why are people so keen to get it all of a sudden? Doesn’t soap and water work fine??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
On the subject of hand sanitizer, why are people so keen to get it all of a sudden? Doesn’t soap and water work fine??

IANAD but I've been reading most of the day and trying to stick with reputable sites like the CDC. Consensus is that soap and water work best if you wash your hands for a long enough time. There seems to be some disagreement on just how long this is, but the CDC says 20 seconds - long enough to hum the "Happy Birthday" song.

Hand sanitizers kill bacteria but don't do anything against viruses like this one. Wipes do, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say I bought some today because I don't want to overreact. You need to do more than a once over but the wipes will kill a virus, as will bleach. Touch screens are a vector and I plan to leave the canister in the truck.

There is some disagreement as far as how long the virus can survive on a surface - anywhere from a few minutes to 9 days (Eeker). This makes home delivery a little sketchier but the truth should shake out in time.

You know how whenever you pick something up your nose starts to itch?

Try telling yourself not to touch your face. Yes

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Well, I happen to stop by the local Winco on the way from home from lunch today (Yes, I am that kind of high-end shopper).

People are definitely stocking up. The store was probably 50% more crowded than I would expect on a Monday, and many people were clearly stocking up for the zombie apocalypse. Huge cartloads of Non-perishable foods and household staples Like Kleenex and toilet paper.

I didn’t dare drive by the Costco…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post