well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    $100K /year
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$100K /year
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
For a plumber. Not even a real plumber - just a guy who can run a sewer snake. A van, uniforms and benefits too.

What’s crazy is that Mike Diamond (“The smell good plumber!”) is having enough trouble filling open positions that they paid to run this advertisement on the radio.

What’s also crazy is what amounts to some $50/hour for a sewer Snake guy. That’s what a teacher makes in these parts - a teacher with a Masters degree. Granted the plumber will work 12 months of the year but still - if you’re not cut out for college this is a really good gig. Which brings me to...

Free college for all. Might be more useful to teach everyone how to run a sewer snake. It wouldn’t take nearly as long as a regular college degree - I could teach a guy everything he needs to know about running a sewer snake in about 4 hours. A guy (women do it too) with a clean driving record and a clean rap sheet could do a lot worse.

Who is campaigning for this?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
That's insane.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that running a sewer snake is not the most pleasant of jobs. Maybe not worth 100K a year, but they certainly earn their money.

(Says the woman who is still traumatized from watching the poor septic tank repair guy have to climb DOWN INTO MY SEPTIC TANK to change the pump. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.)

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of CTPianotech
posted Hide Post
Took a look at the website...It says "Ability to make 6 figures...$80,000 is not unusual!"

The employees are paid an hourly, plus commissions (probably for selling certain items, or performing some of the grossest work), with overtime available.

I would bet the hourly is closer to the $25/30 hr or so.. Doesn't seem so insane when put that way.

Still, a good income...but you work for it.

I'd like to know where the employer makes his money. A very high parts markup, and similarly high portal to portal hourly charge for customers? Making a smaller amount off each worker, but counting on the volume?

I always find it interesting to know a little how others run their business.

Posts: 825 | Location: CT | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's not ridiculous. It's what the market will bear. No one NEEDS a Walmart greeter. You got a clog and don't know how to snake it? You NEED a plumber.

Costs a lot of money to put a guy out in the field for you, insure him, truck, uniforms, etc. If that person is not paid a decent wage they will not be dependable to show up for that often unpleasant work.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
How does one become a plumber? I note that Steve mentioned being able to teach someone how to run a snake in 4 hours, but of course that's not the only thing you need to know how to do. Are plumbers licensed the way electricians are?

And while we're at it, how do electricians become electricians? Do they go to a vocational school?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CTPianotech:
I'd like to know where the employer makes his money. A very high parts markup, and similarly high portal to portal hourly charge for customers? Making a smaller amount off each worker, but counting on the volume?

Mike Diamond is an expensive residential plumbing outfit and they advertise a lot. Their pitch is "any drain cleaned for $99*", which I think is a loss leader. It gets them in the door to sell other things and then the asterisk starts to make them money.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, operating a drain snake is pre-school level learning.

Putting up with the crap in the drain is certainly worth something but, not 100k. Not when cops and firefighters make a whole lot less than that.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
The real problem is that more people aren't making $100K.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10570 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
How does one become a plumber?

Usually on the job training. Newbie plumbers do a lot of digging, which weeds a lot of them out. The union runs a training school as well.

quote:
Are plumbers licensed the way electricians are?

Varies by state. In CA an individual plumber does not have to be certified but a plumbing contractor must have a license to do any work that costs more than something like $600. That requires 2 years experience in the last 5 years and a two part test - license law and trade knowledge.

quote:
And while we're at it, how do electricians become electricians? Do they go to a vocational school?

Also OJT for the most part. The union offers a school but it's hard to get in to.

Electricians differ from plumbers in that every individual electrician is supposed to be certified from day 1, a law that got pushed through by the union and one I have never seen enforced. There are privately run schools where you can learn how to pass the test - which has very little to do with how to be a good electrician. Rules for electrical contractors are the same as the ones for plumbing contractors. If you have a contractors license you don't have to be certified.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
Putting up with the crap in the drain is certainly worth something but, not 100k. Not when cops and firefighters make a whole lot less than that.

That's not true in metro areas of CA.

quote:
California police officers and sheriff’s deputies received, on average, about $122,000 in total pay during 2017, according to a Sacramento Bee analysis of new data from the State Controller’s Office.

Firefighters and engineers earned, on average, about $146,000 in total pay during 2017. Those figure reflects base pay, as well as overtime, incentive pay and payouts upon retirement.

The firefighter# is misleading in that it's based on a 40 hour week - much of it spent sleeping at the firehouse. Most fire fighters I know have second jobs and a lot of them are contractors.

Article here.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, thanks for those comments. It's interesting to think about all the jobs that are still very much needed in specific locations (like plumbers and various other kinds of contractors) and which just can't be outsourced or moved online etc.

I think it makes sense that these kinds of positions be well-paid, and I think they should also get more status/respect then they often do.

I mean, plumbing is pretty darned important, after all!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree with you more, Steve. I think we overvalue a college education, making it the ultimate goal for every high school graduate.

I know I sat down with my kid and outlined the options for him in the future, including "the trades," because of job security and decent salary, especially out of the gate.

However, as a long-term career--unless you change to supervisor or contractor, many of these jobs are quite physical. I wonder how good an option they are for people as they age?

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I wonder how good an option they are for people as they age?

Not the best, but there are options. Estimating, sales, and supervision are all typical. Becoming a contractor and hiring out the work is another (my solution) is another.

The best gig is probably building inspector because of the benefits.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I would say the options are better in the trades if you want to start your own business (which is how you make money for most people).

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post