well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Asian giant hornets have arrived
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asian giant hornets have arrived
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Wondering just how big the invasive Asian giant hornet is compared to a honeybee, bumblebee or paper wasp? The state Department of Agriculture has released a chart to help you.

“We’ve had lots of questions about how Asian giant hornets compare in size to other similar-looking insects. Check out our new to-scale size comparison to see,” the agency posted on its Facebook page on Wednesday, April 29.

In December 2019, the state department received and verified four reports of Asian giant hornets near Blaine and Bellingham. They were the first sightings of the hornets in Washington state and the U.S.

Members of the Mt. Baker Beekeepers Association have put up traps and are monitoring them as part of the state’s efforts to find and kill the invasive pests so they don’t reproduce and becoming established in Washington.

Photo from NYT; I think the article says this is a dead hornet that was placed on the guy's jacket to show how large they are.

I sure wouldn't be smiling if that thing were alive....

https://www.bellinghamherald.c...rticle242404026.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
“They’re not sending their best.”

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

Big Grin

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We have a short window to find and exterminate.

I wonder how they got here. Hard to imagine a big Divine Wind from Japan blew them here.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I can't remember if it was linked in that article or I read it somewhere else, but an article on them linked to a YouTube video of some (incredibly crazy) guy receiving a sting from one. He held it with tweezers and pushed it into his arm to get it to sting him. First of all, the thing is just huge, and second of all it swelled up the size of Texas in a horrifyingly short time. HairRaising

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Oh joy. I've been to all those places many times. Nuke them hornets before it's too late! Frowner

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Japanese hives have developed a defense mechanism

Cook them Alive ...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

Perhaps, but they do the jobs that American hornets won’t do.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Frowner

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
We have a short window to find and exterminate.
Sounds like we need a Dalek.

quote:

I wonder how they got here. Hard to imagine a big Divine Wind from Japan blew them here.
I am pretty sure Bellingham isn't a commercial shipping port anymore, but Vancouver BC (Tsawwassen) is. Insects like to hitchhike in produce and other goods that come by ship. But, I think you need a queen to establish a bee/wasp/hornet colony.

Murder hornets have been previously found around Nanaimo on Vancouver Island about 15 miles from the city of Vancouver (which is *not* on Vancouver Island).

The problem is that insects and most other animals don't respect international borders. Build a wall! And a net!

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Emerald ash borers arrived from Asia in solid (untreated) wood packing crates in the Ontario and Michigan areas about 20 years ago. They have destroyed entire forests.

But remember, government isn't the solution to your problems, government *is* the problem.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
hysteric

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That's hysterical!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post