well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Is there a doctor in the house?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a doctor in the house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
I have a dark blood red spot below my right eye.

One minute it wasn't there, no trace of it, and the next time I looked in the mirror...

It looks like the tattoos gangsters get except it's round. It's not raised and not painful.

I could have hurt myself with my reading glasses but if that happened I think there would have been pain.

I already had an appointment with my PCP in two weeks.

I haven't had such a dark spot on my skin like this in the past.

Any ideas?

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
No idea. How far below your eye? Maybe more a skin condition than an eye problem?

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Directly below the right corner.

I looked up melanoma and it doesn't fit the description.

I'm hesitant to go to urgent care because they'll probably just let me see a LPN and give me a referral to a dermatologist.

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
My guess is you may have burst a capillary. Were you doing anything strenuous (including sneezing, coughing, or straining to poop LOL - it's suprisingly common to burst capillaries in the face and eyes doing any of those things)? If that is what it is, the spot will most likely fade and eventually disappear like a bruise would.

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I have allergies and take allergy medications every day.

BTW, my allergies are all year, have not been traced to a cause, and started when I moved back to Florida.

I sneezed on that day. Yes. Lol!

I think you're right, Lisa.

Thanks!

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I remember a forum member here named Dr. johnmoonlight, an ER doctor, but he hasn’t posted anything here for years.

Even if there were any MDs here, I doubt they would want to make an internet diagnosis without seeing you first.

There's probably a big difference between a spot being located on the eye itself and being located below the eye on skin tissue.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
If it is a burst capillary (and I'm not a dr so don't take my word for it -- I'd definitely have your PCP check it out at your appointment just to be sure), some arnica gel should help it to fade faster. This stuff claims to be homeopathic and I do not believe in homeopathic stuff but I can personally attest that this gel is nothing short of miraculous on bruises and blood blisters. https://www.arnicare.com/about...picals/arnicare-gel/

You should be able to get it at most drugstores and I know our local walmart carries it (usually it's by the ben-gay and other sore-muscle type creams).

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Qaanaaq-Liaaq, Yes. I'd be more concerned if it was on the eye.

I'm already overdue for an eye exam but have to finish my dental work first.

Thanks for your post.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I know. I keep forgetting to ask my PCP about my knees. I need to ask him about this too.

I'm familiar with this product. I'll get some.

Thanks, again, Lisa.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
This stuff claims to be homeopathic and I do not believe in homeopathic stuff but I can personally attest that this gel is nothing short of miraculous on bruises and blood blisters.

so you won't believe your own eyes and experience? you'd rather believe the medical establishment that only says they can't prove that homeopathy works?

that's like believing animals have no emotions because science hasn't proved it yet, even though your own experience tells you different. (science has proved that animals have emotions--trumpeted as big news Roll Eyes that's just the first analogy that came to mind.)

i was a skeptic, too. but i had a miraculous experience with a serious leg puncture inflicted by an ice axe that vanished as if it had never happened after taking several doses of arnica. so i don't care what the medical establishment says. it works. in europe mainstream pharmacies dispense homeopathic remedies and they are prescribed by doctors there.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
This stuff claims to be homeopathic and I do not believe in homeopathic stuff but I can personally attest that this gel is nothing short of miraculous on bruises and blood blisters.

so you won't believe your own eyes and experience? you'd rather believe the medical establishment that only says they can't prove that homeopathy works?

that's like believing animals have no emotions because science hasn't proved it yet, even though your own experience tells you different. (science has proved that animals have emotions--trumpeted as big news Roll Eyes that's just the first analogy that came to mind.)

i was a skeptic, too. but i had a miraculous experience with a serious leg puncture inflicted by an ice axe that vanished as if it had never happened after taking several doses of arnica. so i don't care what the medical establishment says. it works. in europe mainstream pharmacies dispense homeopathic remedies and they are prescribed by doctors there.

I definitely believe that arnica works, and I know that this particular arnica gel definitely works because I've seen the results with my own eyes. But a lot of homeopathic stuff is such a tiny tiny tiny concentration of some random thing that chemically I don't believe it could possibly be enough of a dose to make any sort of difference. Specifically I am thinking of a teething remedy someone recommended to me when my daughter was little - turns out it had belladonna in it (aka deadly nightshade, which is super toxic) but such a tiny dose that it was safe for infants which basically means it didn't have any. And not-so-coincidentally, it didn't do squat for my crying baby.

I haven't bothered to figure out what the dose of arnica is in this, but clearly it must have enough to work.

I'm just going by my experience and my very basic knowledge of chemistry and drug dosing, so I could be totally off base. And it's not like I've tried every product out there. But other than this arnicare gel, I've never encountered a homeopathic product that I could buy commercially over the counter that actually seemed to do what it claimed. (That said, please understand that I don't totally write off unconventional treatments - I also have had miraculous results with manuka honey for burns which I'm sure most conventional doctors would scoff at.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I have manuka honey. I use it for psoriasis.

I have a tar ointment that works even better.

I found out Amazon sells the brand I have (MG217) as shampoo.

It's in my cart.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
arnica gel is homeopathic. that means there is no measurable amount of arnica in the gel.

the arnica i used for my ice axe puncture is the sugar pills that have no measurable amount of arnica in them.

belladonna may not have been the correct remedy for your teething baby. usually if something doesn't work it isn't the right remedy.

when i went to a homeopathic doctor there was a lot of trial and error to find the right remedy.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Well, I found Arnica in the house and used it. I don't know if the one application did anything perceptible (I wouldn't expect it to). I didn't look.

I'll use it once a day for the foreseeable future and see if it helps.

I just got a letter saying a claim for dental services provided has been denied. 'You can write to us; you can call us Monday, blah, blah.' Monday I have an appointment to get my teeth cleaned. It's not going to happen Monday. Roll Eyes

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Well, I found Arnica in the house and used it. I don't know if the one application did anything perceptible (I wouldn't expect it to). I didn't look.

I'll use it once a day for the foreseeable future and see if it helps.

I just got a letter saying a claim for dental services provided has been denied. 'You can write to us; you can call us Monday, blah, blah.' Monday I have an appointment to get my teeth cleaned. It's not going to happen Monday. Roll Eyes

It will take more than one application and probaby better if you use a few times a day. Hopefully it works.

Sorry about your dental insurance - dental is the worst. They are so slick about denying everything. And even what they do cover, they have a lifetime cap or some silly-low maximum amount they pay BS. Like good luck getting a root canal and crown with the $600 they allow for that or getting braces with your $1500 LIFETIME (not yearly) cap.

(Says the person who's still smarting from having to get LL#1 braces this summer for the second time because she failed to wear her retainer like she was supposed to. She's now undergoing the world's fastest orthodontic treatment so it will be done in time for her move to California. Even though she'll only have them for a few months, they were still $$$ and of course insurance paid nothing because we exhausted her lifetime cap on the first round...when she was in middle school. And the $1500 allowance barely made a dent in the total cost even back then. What a load of crap.)

Anyhow, good luck with your teeth cleaning and doing battle with the insurance!