well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Poulaines

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poulaines
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I didn't know what they are but I bet dol does....

https://www.atlasobscura.com/a...ropeans-pointy-shoes

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I made a pair of those in college. I stuffed the points with dryer lint and put a piece of wire coat hanger in to turn them up.

They might also be worn with pattens if one needed to be outdoors in the street.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Ha! I clicked on the thread because I wondered why anyone would be talking about them! It’s one of the rare times in western fashion history when men’s fashions were more extravagant than women’s. Poulaines were cut low around the ankle to show off the coloured stockings men wore and to elongate the legs (which were on display because tunics had gotten scandalously short). Eventually they were subject to sumptuary laws in England and France which dictated the maximum length of the toes.

And Pianojuggler is correct about the pattens - high wooden platforms to elevate the wearer above the muddy streets. They were eventually subject to their own set of laws to limit the height.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be about food.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
jon_nyc thought it was going to be about prostitutes.... Big Grin

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Fashions die when taken to extremes

Because the mine is longer competition never ends.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post