well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Poulaines

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/4523995497

30 June 2020, 07:46 PM
wtg
Poulaines
I didn't know what they are but I bet dol does....

https://www.atlasobscura.com/a...ropeans-pointy-shoes

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

30 June 2020, 10:14 PM
pianojuggler
I made a pair of those in college. I stuffed the points with dryer lint and put a piece of wire coat hanger in to turn them up.

They might also be worn with pattens if one needed to be outdoors in the street.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

30 June 2020, 11:21 PM
dolmansaxlil
Ha! I clicked on the thread because I wondered why anyone would be talking about them! It’s one of the rare times in western fashion history when men’s fashions were more extravagant than women’s. Poulaines were cut low around the ankle to show off the coloured stockings men wore and to elongate the legs (which were on display because tunics had gotten scandalously short). Eventually they were subject to sumptuary laws in England and France which dictated the maximum length of the toes.

And Pianojuggler is correct about the pattens - high wooden platforms to elevate the wearer above the muddy streets. They were eventually subject to their own set of laws to limit the height.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

01 July 2020, 07:12 AM
Daniel
I thought this was going to be about food.
01 July 2020, 03:42 PM
Nina
jon_nyc thought it was going to be about prostitutes.... Big Grin
01 July 2020, 04:46 PM
CHAS
Fashions die when taken to extremes

Because the mine is longer competition never ends.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.