well-temperedforum.groupee.net
"I'm a Democrat and a Feminist, but I support DeVos' Title IX reforms"

This topic can be found at:
http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/4521078266

05 December 2018, 04:16 PM
jon-nyc
"I'm a Democrat and a Feminist, but I support DeVos' Title IX reforms"
An Op-Ed in the Times.

But her reasoning is a bit discouraging for someone with liberal values: Sometimes the men who are refused due process are black.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/1...mocrat-feminist.html
05 December 2018, 06:01 PM
CHAS
All this carp makes me even gladder that I am gay.

--------------------------------
"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to." - Jerry Seinfeld

06 December 2018, 10:20 AM
Daniel
A pseudo-Democrat, a pseudo-feminist, a real Nazi.
06 December 2018, 12:00 PM
Nina
Get the schools out of the business of investigating criminal complaints.
06 December 2018, 12:05 PM
Jack Frost
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

I agree.

I will also admit the lack of due process now troubles me greatly.

jf
08 December 2018, 10:44 AM
Mikhailoh
quote:

Amen.

“Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.” - David Icke

08 December 2018, 11:04 AM
QuirtEvans
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:

I agree.

I will also admit the lack of due process now troubles me greatly.

jf

Yes. And the lack of consistent standards, and the flipping of the burden of proof.

I don't think it needs to be "beyond a reasonable doubt", but really, it ought to be at least a preponderance of the evidence, to kick someone out of school. And maybe even "clear and convincing".

Ruining someone's life should not be taken lightly.
08 December 2018, 12:54 PM
Nina
Yes, and ruining someone's life should not be seen as the price to pay for maintaining a school's reputation.

I should also point out that in many, many cases both the accuser and the accused have their lives ruined.
08 December 2018, 01:22 PM
jon-nyc
What bothers me so much about it is the process. I’m not sure we even know the name of the person that removed these due process protections.

This and some other recent process abuses (I’m looking at you, ‘disparate impact’) have soured me somewhat on the administrative state. I’m hardly an article 3 extremist but seriously, something this important can just be forced on us by a nameless bureaucrat? Without so much as a comment period? It’s actually quite breathtaking in its audacity.
08 December 2018, 10:33 PM
Daniel
https://www.marieclaire.com/po...changes-betsy-devos/
09 December 2018, 01:35 AM
QuirtEvans
quote:

They may get thousands, or even tens of thousands, of comments. There's no way the final rulemaking will ever respond to every point made in every comment letter that they receive. They never do.

As long as they do a thorough job in addressing the primary points made in the comments, the courts usually don't overturn on that basis.
09 December 2018, 06:28 AM
jon-nyc
When I said ‘without even a comment period’ I was referring to the original rule from 2011.
09 December 2018, 09:02 AM
QuirtEvans
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
When I said ‘without even a comment period’ I was referring to the original rule from 2011.

You meant "guidance", I'm sure.
09 December 2018, 12:11 PM
jon-nyc
Indeed I did, Comrade.
09 December 2018, 06:37 PM
Amanda
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
quote:

Amen.

Somehow remembering how Joe Paterno successfully took over managing his players' criminal actions, even the most serious kind - rape and grave assault.

The police caved in, and all so Paterno could achieve his wish of managing his players "discipline" - known when applied to ordinary mortals as due process and "The Law."

If he decreed a player would adequately learn his "lesson" after a rape by picking up trash from the Stadium grounds at 6 AM for a coupla weeks, then that's what happened - and all that happened.

Etcetera.

(But then as PSU coach, he was god incarnate when he lived.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"