well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    "I'm a Democrat and a Feminist, but I support DeVos' Title IX reforms"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I'm a Democrat and a Feminist, but I support DeVos' Title IX reforms"
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
An Op-Ed in the Times.

But her reasoning is a bit discouraging for someone with liberal values: Sometimes the men who are refused due process are black.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/1...mocrat-feminist.html

Posts: 30209 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
All this carp makes me even gladder that I am gay.

--------------------------------
Slogan for ANYONE running against 45 in 2 years (Republicans included): “Hindsight 2020”

Posts: 20310 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
A pseudo-Democrat, a pseudo-feminist, a real Nazi.

Posts: 20703 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Get the schools out of the business of investigating criminal complaints.

Posts: 31657 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

I agree.

I will also admit the lack of due process now troubles me greatly.

jf

Posts: 16981 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amen.

“Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.” - David Icke

Posts: 10949 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:

I agree.

I will also admit the lack of due process now troubles me greatly.

jf

Yes. And the lack of consistent standards, and the flipping of the burden of proof.

I don't think it needs to be "beyond a reasonable doubt", but really, it ought to be at least a preponderance of the evidence, to kick someone out of school. And maybe even "clear and convincing".

Ruining someone's life should not be taken lightly.

Posts: 41799 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes, and ruining someone's life should not be seen as the price to pay for maintaining a school's reputation.

I should also point out that in many, many cases both the accuser and the accused have their lives ruined.

Posts: 31657 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
What bothers me so much about it is the process. I’m not sure we even know the name of the person that removed these due process protections.

This and some other recent process abuses (I’m looking at you, ‘disparate impact’) have soured me somewhat on the administrative state. I’m hardly an article 3 extremist but seriously, something this important can just be forced on us by a nameless bureaucrat? Without so much as a comment period? It’s actually quite breathtaking in its audacity.

Posts: 30209 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20703 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

They may get thousands, or even tens of thousands, of comments. There's no way the final rulemaking will ever respond to every point made in every comment letter that they receive. They never do.

As long as they do a thorough job in addressing the primary points made in the comments, the courts usually don't overturn on that basis.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
When I said ‘without even a comment period’ I was referring to the original rule from 2011.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
When I said ‘without even a comment period’ I was referring to the original rule from 2011.

You meant "guidance", I'm sure.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Indeed I did, Comrade.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
quote:

Amen.

Somehow remembering how Joe Paterno successfully took over managing his players' criminal actions, even the most serious kind - rape and grave assault.

The police caved in, and all so Paterno could achieve his wish of managing his players "discipline" - known when applied to ordinary mortals as due process and "The Law."

If he decreed a player would adequately learn his "lesson" after a rape by picking up trash from the Stadium grounds at 6 AM for a coupla weeks, then that's what happened - and all that happened.

Etcetera.

(But then as PSU coach, he was god incarnate when he lived.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 12252 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post