well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Irishman

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Irishman
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Wow! This is the gangster movie to end all gangster movies. Godfather? What Godfather. I got your Godfather right here. Ya know what I’m sayin’?

The cast is the best in the biz, the writing is tight. The history, if not 100%, is close enough to accurate to make it work. The details are right - clothes, cars, interiors, even food. This is first class work.

Netflix. 3 1/2 hours and worth the time. If you are looking for a reason to sign up for Netflix this is it. If you don’t like it and only watch this this one movie your monthly fee will be money well spent.

It’s that good.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Is it available in theaters at all? If not, I don't think it will qualify for the Academy Awards.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I was looking at that last night and wondered if it was good.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I watched the first part and thought, wow, this is such an over-the-top cliche' of a gangster movie; were they making fun of themselves? I should go back and watch the rest...

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I watched the first part and thought, wow, this is such an over-the-top cliche' of a gangster movie

It's definitely that. All the gangster movie you could ever want +25%! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
The reference to the gangster's daughter's wedding at the very beginning of the movie indicated that they aren't trying to be subtle about the themes they are going to play around with.

I recently heard an interview with Werner Herzog. Speaking of Scorsese, Herzog called him a slave to the form with zero originality and and expert level of craftsmanship. Herzog's a fun guy to listen to.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Is it available in theaters at all? If not, I don't think it will qualify for the Academy Awards.

Are you sure about that? What about Roma?

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had to look it up. Apparently Netflix films are eligible for Academy Awards, with Roma being the biggest winner (big = feature film). They've also won several in the documentary area. It looks like they'll be eligible again in 2020, despite some industry rumblings.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm told that the rule is the picture has to open in a theater in either New York or Los Angeles before it can be considered for an award.

Irishman opened in LA last weekend. It's been nominated for 5 Golden Globes so far.