well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Joe Biden's Binders Full of Women
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Biden's Binders Full of Women
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Well, there's this things called google, and inside are two interesting things: google scholar and jstor.

Knock yourself out. Wink

Hey, you're the one trying to prove something, not me.

Agnostics are skeptical. They don't need to prove anything.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I would say this is a complicated question because black people are not of one mind about this or much of anything else.

Historically, there has been tension between light-skinned blacks and dark-skinned blacks. [/QUOTE]

My son James, who is biracial, was raised by two white parents and has two white sibs as well as two black half-sibs who were not part of our household but with whom he has kept close contact.

His skin tone is about the same as Obama's, perhaps a little lighter.

He surprised me recently with this: "Obama was not the first black President. He was the first biracial President. We've never had a black President." To the extent he "identifies" as any race, I guess it would be "biracial" rather than "black," but I think his identity is far less tied up with race than it is with being a father, a filmmaker, a part of our family, male perhaps.

I remember when Obama was first running for President. I had been a very enthusiastic fan since his speech at Kerry's convention. I remember, Cindy, at some point early on you mentioned Michelle and said something along the lines of "That woman will never be the first lady." So glad you were wrong. I read her book and loved it. I also read Kamala's book and loved it. As a result, she is my first choice unless I am convinced someone else is a better strategic choice.

There is obviously some symbolic import in Biden choosing a black female at this point. I don't see where Stacy Abrams comes close to having relevant experience. I would say this is not yet her time. The concern that Kamala may not be black enough concerns me, but I get it. I suppose it's the other side of saying Abrams may be too black.

Looking forward to a world where racial identity remains important in arts and culture but not politics and employment.

And all this brings back this unpleasant memory:

https://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/

jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Better pick a black woman, OR ELSE!
https://www.politico.com/news/...n-black-woman-393147

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post