well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Joe Biden's Binders Full of Women
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Biden's Binders Full of Women
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
So who do you think it's going to be?

Hearing a lot of noise about Bass, but I can't quite imagine they'd rock the boat in Florida like that, given how it really seems achievable this year and would all but seal things for him should he win it.

Is Susan Rice a real possibility? I don't see it.

WHitmer? Warren? Bottoms? Demings? All are possible.

Harris? Still probably who I'd bet on.

What are your thoughts? Both who you'd like to see and who you think it'll be.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Scuttlebutt says Rice and Biden have a very good working relationship from their time in the Obama administration. He trusts her judgment. The problem of course, as one writer so pithily put it, is that she is a human lightning rod. Nominating her hands Trump's Lincoln-Project-like media goons a bonanza of Benghazi rehashes.

Harris seems like the safest pick. Do no harm. Problem there, a lot of the old white guys around Biden seem very cool to her because "she didn't apologize" for going after Joe while she was a candidate. That's BS and just leads me to wonder what their real beef might be. And, of course, her lines against Biden will again be fodder for the Trump campaign. But she still seems the safest pick. Lot's of experience, and centrist so she won't scare off the independents and potential vote switchers. Her replacement in the Senate will be another Dem.

Duckworth brings a lot (just ask Cindy! Big Grin ). I think she can laugh off the George Washington quips easily enough. That may be all the GOP can throw at her. Again, her seat in the Senate stays Dem.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I forget to mention Duckworth. That was not intentional.

Re Harris I've seen the quote from Chris Dodd. My response was 'who cares what you think?'

Her response was honest "that's politics" and this whole 'issue' is the type of thing that every presidential nominee has had to deal with when choosing a VP who ran against them ('voodoo economics' anyone?).

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I feel like the criticism of Harris has been sexist. Oh, she's ambitious and would want to use the perch of VP to angle for president in four years? No duh.

I think Duckworth is the best choice, by far. I do not think black people would revolt if a black woman were not picked, as black folks don't like Harris. Remember, her whole plan was to sweep the black vote in SC, and look how that turned out.

Rice would be an egregious mistake. This is supposed to be the calming, friendly ticket. Also, the opposition is grasping for a new distraction, and Rice would provide a huge, inviting target.

Bass? Demmings? Abrahms? Atlanta Mayor? Please.

Should be Duckworth.

Will be Harris.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Bass praised Scientology

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should be Duckworth.

Will be Harris.

I kind of feel like this as well... Time will tell. Although, hurry up Joe!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I feel like the criticism of Harris has been sexist. Oh, she's ambitious and would want to use the perch of VP to angle for president in four years? No duh.

I think Duckworth is the best choice, by far. I do not think black people would revolt if a black woman were not picked, as black folks don't like Harris. Remember, her whole plan was to sweep the black vote in SC, and look how that turned out.

Should be Duckworth.

Will be Harris.
Between Duckworth and Harris, I much prefer Duckworth.

I have no problem with Harris' ambition. I think Harris lack conviction on important policy positions.

On whether the black people will "revolt" if a black woman were not picked, I suppose "revolt" is too strong a word. Maybe it won't be a "revolt," but merely a slight drop in enthusiasm, perhaps shaving a few points off voter turnout among the block voters. What do you think, Cindy? Would that be enough to change the Presidential election outcome or the control of Senate outcome?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Harris will be campaigning for President from day one.
She was a prosecutor for years. I do not know how many, but that would provide plenty of fodder for the GOP to twist and contort for their uses.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Bass praised Scientology

Then I hope it's not her.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:

Should be Duckworth.

Will be Harris.
Between Duckworth and Harris, I much prefer Duckworth.

I have no problem with Harris' ambition. I think Harris lack conviction on important policy positions.

On whether the black people will "revolt" if a black woman were not picked, I suppose "revolt" is too strong a word. Maybe it won't be a "revolt," but merely a slight drop in enthusiasm, perhaps shaving a few points off voter turnout among the block voters. What do you think, Cindy? Would that be enough to change the Presidential election outcome or the control of Senate outcome?

If Joe and Barack can’t turn out black voters, then no one can.

Me, I’m worried about secretly racist white people. There is less animosity in this country toward Asians, so let’s exploit that.

As you can see, I’ll do anything to win.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel like the criticism of Harris has been sexist.

That seems absurd, if all of the preferred choices are also women.

Harris is not my favorite, but I'm OK with any of them. Whatever, we just need to win.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
That seems absurd, if all of the preferred choices are also women.

Seems like that doesn’t follow. She’s saying that specific criticisms leveled at Harris seem sexist, not opposition to her generally.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I’m not saying she is being treated worse Than the other female contenders because of her gender.

I’m saying that when men are picked as vp, no one says the man will be disloyal and campaigning for president on day one. It is assumed that the vp will try to succeed the president.

Ambitious women are not to be tolerated. That’s the sexism.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
And I’m saying it’s absurd.

I liked Elizabeth Warren. She was one of my top two choices from the start. She was ambitious.

And I like a whole host of potential Black women as choices. Bottoms is still my favorite, but I like Stacey Abrams, and Val Demmings.

The fact that I’m not a fan of Harris isn’t indicative of sexism. The fact that you might see dislike of her of sexism suggests that it’s impossible to dislike a female candidate without you waving the “Sexism!” banner.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Ugh

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post