well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Atlanta, Tasers, and Mayor Bottoms
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta, Tasers, and Mayor Bottoms
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
A white guy would not have been issued a polite citation and told he could drive his drunk self home. He would have been arrested on the spot.

Like Jon, I'm afraid we're in real danger of losing this one if the GOP can change the conversation from Floyd to "these people expect the police to take a bullet from every violent perp."

I never said a white guy would have been allowed to drive himself home.

I did ask whether it was mandatory for him to be arrested. I haven't heard anything about what's "typical" for these situations. I honestly don't know.

But would he have been offered an out like "call an Uber or a friend, buddy"?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:

As for my point....I think we're missing an opportunity to change how things work by looking at where the problem starts. We're standing on the sidelines commenting on the stupid decisions that people (perpetrators and police alike) made in the heat of an emotional moment.

Isn't it more reasonable to figure out how not to get there in the first place?

It makes perfect sense, can you tell it to the protesters?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You're talking to someone who is nicknamed Spock by her friends.

Welcome to the human race. Cat herding at its best.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Regrettably, for the present at least, having a coherent conversation about this is nearly impossible. (edit: Speaking broadly, not directed at you.)

It is completely coherent to question the logical leap from individual incidents culled from millions of arrests, to proof of systemic murderous racism by cops against black people due to the color of their skin. It's just that that bit of coherence is dismissed as pure ignorance by people who then proceed to lament our inability to have a coherent discussion.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're talking to someone who is nicknamed Spock by her friends.

Your hatred of Trump betrays slightly more rage inside of you than this Spock persona would imply.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
hatred of Trump

Is the most logical emotion....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Perp struggles with officer, reaching for weapons on his belt, grabs the taser, and tries to fire it at the officer. Cop shoots him.

Mayor Bottoms says being shot at with the taser was not justification for shooting back.

It seems like she’s demanding the cops put themselves in impossibly dangerous position. Basically demanding that they let themselves be overpowered and just hope for the best.

I don't usually disagree with you but I can't agree with this.

First, you call him, "Perp," (vs. Cop), and so, you've set the narrative structure of your topic.

Still, I read your posts, read WTG's, and watched both videos.

Incidentally, I don't like watching videos of shootings but 9 times out of 10 (as here) it happens off camera.

Mayor Bottoms says being shot with the (cop's) tazer is no reason for this man to have been shot dead with a gun? She's right.

This man was not drinking and driving. He was being polite and respectful. He explained clearly that he could lock his car and walk to his sister's house.

The cop forced a breathalyzer test on him in violation of the 14th Amendment.

The cop would not have provoked any similar situation if the person had not been a minority.

There were two cops. They are cowards. They understood what they were doing when they forced the breathalyzer test. They can't (or won't) keep control of their tazors let alone guns. One senselessly killed this man off camera. I assume the other did nothing.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Your description leaves out the part about struggling with the cop and commandeering his weapon. Surely that makes this not just a DUI. That puts him squarely in the violent and dangerous category.

But yeah, if it were just a dui then no such use of force would be justified.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I should add I’m open to the idea that this was a bad arrest, though it’s not generally the case that an officer has to witness the actual crime to arrest you for it.

But the mayor didn’t say he was being fired for a bad arrest. She said he was being fired for using the only force escalation point at his disposal while being targeted by a dangerous and violent criminal.

That seems like an impossible position to put cops in. And surely a losing issue for the movement as a whole.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A medical examiner in Atlanta, Georgia, has declared the death of an African-American man to be homicide after he was shot in an encounter with police.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53047282

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sums it up.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local...oNf30ffg5lH8CET3sVI/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
a dangerous and violent criminal

The guy had a taser. Cops use tasers on people all of the time because tasers are "not dangerous" and "don't kill you." If that narrative is true -- though I am not convinced it is, hence my scare-quotes -- but if that narrative is true, the drunk man with the taser was not dangerous. You (i.e., the police) can't say tasers aren't dangerous, and then use the fact that someone has one as an excuse for escalating to deadly force.

Also, as per the NYTs article that details how the man died, it says he was shot in the back. In other words, he was running away. Since when is someone running away from you a threat? Also we're talking about a dui (not even really *driving*, he was in the drive-through window asleep...), not someone with a gun actively try to shoot other people. This matters, because what evidence is there that he would be a danger to others if he ran away? (IOW, if you have an armed criminal shoot people and then he starts running away, the case for firing at someone running away is a little different).

I think this is the crux of the matter, and this is probably why the police officer was fired and the police chief resigned. Because the officer aimed at a man who was running away, shot him in the back, and killed him.

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Sorry, not NYT, CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/14...ks-sunday/index.html

But here's the NYT article as well:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...ries&pgtype=Homepage

And as these articles and the one posted by WTG note, the death was ruled a homicide, so...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE] A medical examiner in Atlanta, Georgia, has declared the death of an African-American man to be homicide after he was shot in an encounter with police.

I don't think that means what you think it means.