well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Atlanta, Tasers, and Mayor Bottoms
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta, Tasers, and Mayor Bottoms
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Perp struggles with officer, reaching for weapons on his belt, grabs the taser, and tries to fire it at the officer. Cop shoots him.

Mayor Bottoms says being shot at with the taser was not justification for shooting back.

It seems like she’s demanding the cops put themselves in impossibly dangerous position. Basically demanding that they let themselves be overpowered and just hope for the best.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOiKgmCJwls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT01znN_PiU

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Mayor Bottoms says being shot at with the taser was not justification for shooting back.
That’s the part I find most troubling. It would have been a clean case of “excessive force” had the man just keep running away. It would have been a clean case of “self defense” for the cop had the man was facing the cops and aimed a taser at the cop.

But it’s both, the man was running away from the cop AND sort of turned his torso around (while still running way) to pointing (firing?) a taser at the cop.

https://youtu.be/jnHecVdUysQ

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
All to avoid a dui. What a tragedy.

He seemed to have his wits fully about him. And still.

Man.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This gives me a new respect for the dangers cops face. Just watching the video wtg posted I absolutely did not see this guy as a threat. Had I been the cop I would not at all been expecting that level of aggression.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Also this will change the conversation is very unfortunate ways.

Basically nobody was defending the MN cops. So the conversation was about what reforms are needed and how to do it.

My fear now is Dems will line up with mayor bottoms on this and the conversation will become whether or not cops should have to take a taze.

We’re not going to win that conversation.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Honest question....I have no clue as to how police should and do handle this type of traffic stop.

Is how the cop handled the stop typical for the situation? The guy is intoxicated but not actually driving. (I don't know if the car was idling, so that's a bit of a wild card.)

Would a polite white guy with the same story get a warning? A white woman? Would he be afforded an opportunity to call someone to drive him home before the breathalyzer test? After? Is it mandatory that he be arrested?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Can’t say what’s typical. But I don’t hear anyone saying it was a bad arrest.

And the mayor didn’t qualify her statement with anything about the arrest.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The protesters torched the Wendy’s.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, torching the Wendy's makes no sense. This is what happens when emotions take over and clear headed thinking goes by the wayside.

That's why it's especially important to find ways to defuse these types of situations in the first place before things get out of control. People act more stupidly every step along the way.

From the family's attorney:

quote:
“Want to know how this could have been avoided?” Stewart said, “Talk to him. Talk. Hey Buddy, you fell asleep in line, you okay? Why don’t you pull your car over there and call an Uber. And then you walk over, and then you leave. Why is that so hard for police officers? A conversation. He wasn’t doing anything crazy or violent or harming anyone. Hey buddy, I think you’ve had something to drink . . . pull over there, call an Uber. I guarantee you that happens hundreds of time a night in college towns with young white kids or other places in America. But we don’t get that benefit of the doubt.”

Miller said if the officer had been more empathetic, Brooks likely wouldn’t have died. “Policing in this country and in this city needs to change to something more empathetic, to something more community-based,” he said. He cited training, leadership, and fear as the three failures in the situation. “We need to keep pushing. We need to let everyone know this is unacceptable and we’re not going to just move on to the next tragedy,” he said.

https://www.atlantamagazine.co...-of-rayshard-brooks/

Think about it. Eric Garner was selling cigarettes illegally. George Floyd was alleged to have passed a counterfeit $20 bill. Brooks was asleep in his car after having too much to drink.

I keep having the thought experiment: What if X had been a white man or white woman? Would things have played out the same way? Are these crimes worthy of the police response they generated?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That’s true. It could also have been avoided if the guy didn’t choose to initiate a struggle for the officer’s weapon.

Try to wrap your head around the enormous stupidity of that decision. Even if he were to get away in the moment, they know who he is and the charges of assaulting the officer and stealing his weapon and aiming it at him are orders of magnitude worse than a DUI, even if it’s your 3rd that month.

Please, everybody, we can’t die on this hill. We have to be able to distinguish between cases like this and cases like George Floyd. If we can’t Trump is going to run the table.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Would it happen to a white guy?

We have a lot white guys here. Any of you feel confident that if you wrestle a taser off a cop’s belt and aim it at him your skin color will prevent him from using the only force escalation at his disposal?

I sure as hell don’t. It’s not an experiment I’d be willing to run.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A white guy would not have been issued a polite citation and told he could drive his drunk self home. He would have been arrested on the spot.

Like Jon, I'm afraid we're in real danger of losing this one if the GOP can change the conversation from Floyd to "these people expect the police to take a bullet from every violent perp."

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Please, everybody, we can’t die on this hill. We have to be able to distinguish between cases like this and cases like George Floyd. If we can’t Trump is going to run the table.

I want to reiterate this, because, for all the tragedy of this case, this is the real point here. This can’t just be Team Black vs Team Cop and we just pick our side and chant.

We can’t lose our sanity. Facts matter.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Regrettably, for the present at least, having a coherent conversation about this is nearly impossible. (edit: Speaking broadly, not directed at you.)

Emotions are inflamed on all sides and not everyone is thinking rationally. Not the cops, not people like Brooks, not people who have generally had enough. That's why the Wendy's got burned down. That's why people are protesting and taking over parts of Seattle. They're frustrated and angry and they are trying to draw attention to those emotions.

I understand what you're trying to say, jon. And I don't disagree. But I'm not sure the point I'm trying to make is coming across. I'm not picking sides and chanting the mantra. I'm trying to get to the underlying problem and possible solutions.

As for my point....I think we're missing an opportunity to change how things work by looking at where the problem starts. We're standing on the sidelines commenting on the stupid decisions that people (perpetrators and police alike) made in the heat of an emotional moment.

Isn't it more reasonable to figure out how not to get there in the first place?

Bazootiehead-in-training