well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    All charges dropped against Jussie Smollett
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All charges dropped against Jussie Smollett
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Like!

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
And the Obamas were from Chicago, don't forget.

I've tried to understand this case, and I simply can't figure it out. It's just goofy as can be, and this last didn't help. I'm hoping we find out what really happened, but I have my doubts. At this point, the conspiracy theories are going to town and it's difficult to weed through the garbage to find anything.

I’m running out of ideas here, people.

I have only two theories left. One possibility is that, for whatever reason, the brothers recanted and decided to say they had nothing to do with this. In that case, there could be no prosecution. This theory would explain why the brothers are not on every TV show and planning a book deal.

The other possibility is that the prosecutors decided that the outlandish behavior of the police in holding that news conference to try the case in the media made it untenable to prove the case was anything other than a political prosecution. Seems unlikely on account of how this is Chicago and nobody has any ethics.

After that, I got nothing.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Cindy you seem to have completely ruled out corruption which is never advisable in Chicago.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Agree with jon. Rahm was on Good Morning America this morning and Stephanopolous couldn't stop Rahm's rant.

The prosecutors never notified the police they were dropping the charges. The mayor and police chief found out the same time the public did. They're both furious about this.

https://www.chicagotribune.com....html#nt=oft06a-1li2

The prosecutor went to a grand jury and managed to get 16 felony counts. A month later, they're like "never mind".

Right.

Who cares? It is (yes) the prosecutors who decide.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The Illinois Prosecutors Bar association thinks there’s something rotten in Cook County.

To summarize: Foxx didn’t actually recuse herself as a matter of law. She just misled the public by saying she did. One is reminded of Trump standing in front of a table full of binders saying he’s backing away from his business.

Foxx said the sealing of the case was mandatory, it was not, and if it was even *eligible* for seal, a notice would have been required which would have given the police and mayor an opportunity to reject.

Foxx has said this is something available to all defendants, the IPBA points out that simply isn’t true, and that legitimate diversion programs come with an admission of guilt.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Who cares? It is (yes) the prosecutors who decide.

Yes, but we want some logic, fairness, and reliability - in a word, justice - in how they decide. People get angry when rich, well connected people get away with things that you and I wouldn’t.

That’s why in this case, just like the Epstein case, there is interest in investigating the nature of the deal itself.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
jon, I don't disagree with you.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So initially Foxx said she was confident that the strength of the evidence would have resulted in a conviction.

Now, not so much.

Her op-ed in the Chicago Tribune.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20190329-story.html

Recused, not recused. Good evidence, not strong enough. Foxx needed to get her stories straight before speaking publicly.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Cindy you seem to have completely ruled out corruption which is never advisable in Chicago.

But who in this story has the money to buy off the DA?

Jussie makes a good living, but not Doctor Dre money.

And corruption wouldn’t explain why the brothers have gone silent.

Unless . . .

The brothers are the villains! Maybe they sent the notes, and they committed the assault. The plan was to frighten Jussie so Fox or Jussie would hire them as body guards.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
So initially Foxx said she was confident that the strength of the evidence would have resulted in a conviction.

Now, not so much.

Her op-ed in the Chicago Tribune.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20190329-story.html

Recused, not recused. Good evidence, not strong enough. Foxx needed to get her stories straight before speaking publicly.

What nonsense.

There is also value in making an example of someone. One legitimate function of criminal law is deterrence. Dismissal of these charges tells everyone that false reporting of a crime is insignificant.

We cannot have a criminal justice system in which victims are believed if victims can lie about being victims.