well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    All charges dropped against Jussie Smollett
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All charges dropped against Jussie Smollett
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Tweet from a satirical account:

“Anyone who has ever claimed that Jussie Smollett is guilty must now be prosecuted.

Lying about hate crime can never be permitted in a civilised society.”

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Cindy - Of course.

But their identities and what they look like *did* come to light. And Smollett continued to contend that he *didn't* hire them. Even if you initially believed the story (I certainly did at the onset even though a few things didn't seem quite right), the additional information about the two beefcakes made it a lot harder to accept at face value.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
People doing this kind of sh!t can lose the Democrats an awful lot of votes in 2020...

Ugh. No disagreement, just ugh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow. The mayor, police, and the prosecutor handling the case all seem to think this was a crooked deal.

Local press is going to be all over this. We haven’t seen the end of this..

https://chicago.suntimes.com/n...-rahm-emanuel-react/

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Mr. Sphinx had an interesting take.

Jussie is not a minor.

There is no national security interest in play here.

So what legal basis is there to seal a criminal file?

That means CNN or anyone else could make a Freedom of Information Act request (or whatever it is called in Illinois) and get this file.

Here's a question: Why aren't the Nigerians selling their stories right about now? You'd expect them to be all over cable news or otherwise cashing in, right?

Could it be an immigration issue that makes them want to lie low? No, I think they are citizens.

Something's really off.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I suspect there is just enough cash flowing around to keep this low. For now. I can't think of any other logical explanation.

Then again, assuming the situation is one of false reporting for publicity, while reprehensible it is not the crime of the century. I wonder if this might be a reaction to the 16 felony indictments.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
BREAKING NEWS: Jessie Smollett accepted to USC.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

jon, where did you see that the prosecutor handling the case thinks it's a crooked deal? I missed that.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
David Axelrod’s take:

“Unless some better explanation surfaces, here’s the lesson of this weird turn in the Smollett case:
You can contrive a hate crime, make it a national news, get caught and-if you are a well-connected celebrity-get off for $10K and have your record expunged and files sealed.”

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

And I keep coming back to the personal check. How did the police get that check?

From the brothers?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
From an ABC news senior correspondent:

Celebrity justice:

Cook County clerk’s office tells @ABC they were shocked that no written motions were filed with the court in connection with today’s surprising dismissal in the Smollett case. On top of that, the case has been wiped off their database as if it never existed.”

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
@WTG - my bad. The prosecutor merely said they stand behind both the police investigation and the decision to bring charges, and that this move should not be interpreted as indicating Smollett didn’t fake the crime.

Emmanuel called it a whitewash of justice, cops used similar words.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

ROTFLMAO

ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I'm just speculating, but it could be that the reason for the dismissal was an improper search or other impropriety on the part of the police.

That would mean the evidence would be suppressed, and that might mean they couldn't convict. Rather than press a case they know they would lose, they offered Jussie the chance to walk now with a bail forfeiture. Which he would be insane not to take.

They want the file sealed so their blunder won't be discovered. Jussie wants the file sealed so no one knows what the evidence was, and the cops want it sealed so they don't look bad for botching the investigation.

That's my guess.

A good guess.
That is the sort of thing that might be leaked.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post