well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you doing for Thanksgiving?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you doing for Thanksgiving?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
It's a Thanksgiving tradition! Like sticking olives on all of your fingers.

ROTFLMAO

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Just 3 of us, but I'm still cooking. We haven't had a real thanksgiving dinner in years, because most of us aren't big fans of roast turkey and stuffing. But this year, 2 of the 3 are, so I'm cooking turkey! Our nice grocery store is selling organic "mini turkeys" (12-15 lbs) so I ordered one of those, which I'm picking up in about an hour.

It should be fun--I haven't done a big cooking event in a long time... I think the last time I roasted a turkey was when we still lived in Arizona!

So: turkey, stuffing, deadly mashed potatoes, green beans, black olives (required, and they have to be the pitted ones from a can, not those fancy-schmancy kalamatas, no sirree), pecan pie, pumpkin pie.

Breakfast the next day (also ritualized): mimosas, cinnamon rolls, cheesy scrambled eggs, tortillas and OJ. Coffee goes without saying, because we're not animals. Smiler

I can't wait for all these lockdowns to be over!

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m making Thanksgiving dinner, and the kids will pick it up from our front porch. Mr. AM flew to visit his Mom in assisted living in St. Louis (outdoor courtyard visit, masks, 6 feet apart) and isn’t past his 14 day quarantine since arrival home yet.

I’m playing around with the turkey this year. Samin Nosrat’s spatchcocked buttermilk brined turkey, recipe here.

My Dad’s stuffing, which is basically a Chinese sausage/oyster/water chestnut fried rice, yum.

Roasted brussels sprouts, gravy, pumpkin pie. That is plenty of food! Cranberry sauce is on its way from Cousin Gwen; hope it makes it in time!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Home on my own with a turkey breast. Will see the boys one at a time as they all have different work schedules.

I did make 2 batches of Cindy Sphinx's Bourbon Cranberry Sauce and jarred it up for friends and neighbors. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
LS lives here. MS and boyfriend came up from NC and will be here through Sunday. OS and boyfriend will visit for the day. No extended family this year.

I'm not worried about Covid. Everyone works from home and takes precautions.

If the weather is good, we'll eat outside.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
We used to have 18 people here every year. Ove the years as parents, or siblings pass on, a divorce, children leaving the nest, it will be just 3 of us at our huge dining room table.

My daughter in Milwaukee tested negative a few days ago after a scare in her workplace where 5 people have tested positive and are home in quarantine. She is supposed to be able to WFH for the foreseeable future but there was talk of having her go to the office to cover the customer service calls.

I hope they worked it our where she didn't have to go in. If she was able to stay home since taking her test, we are thinking about having her down for the day. What will probably happen is, she will drive 80 miles and do a window up drive through the driveway as we put some dinner in her trunk. Then she will drive 80 miles home and re-heat it.

Saddest Thanksgiving in my lifetime.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Just the two of us. First Thanksgiving with both of my kids remotely I think in their lifetimes.

I know Mary Anna usually makes a big effort to have her kids all together on Thanksgiving, too (but it doesn't always work out, because spouses and significant others also have families and obligations).

I won't be sad. But I will be regretful.

This was last year in Arizona. Everyone but one of my kids made it.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I’m making Thanksgiving dinner, and the kids will pick it up from our front porch. Mr. AM flew to visit his Mom in assisted living in St. Louis (outdoor courtyard visit, masks, 6 feet apart) and isn’t past his 14 day quarantine since arrival home yet.

I’m playing around with the turkey this year. Samin Nosrat’s spatchcocked buttermilk brined turkey, recipe here.

My Dad’s stuffing, which is basically a Chinese sausage/oyster/water chestnut fried rice, yum.

Roasted brussels sprouts, gravy, pumpkin pie. That is plenty of food! Cranberry sauce is on its way from Cousin Gwen; hope it makes it in time!

Wow, sounds fabulous.

Please let us know how the turkey turns out. That recipe is intriguing.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37678 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
For the first time, the kids are handling dinner.

This feels great.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We are thankful for:

The continued health of our immediate families
A beautiful remote and virtual wedding
More time outside
Routine and continued work and income
Our outdoor deck in the city
Gazing out over the water each day
The love and connection with people - even if only through a computer screen!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Just Martha, her daughter (who lives with us), and I . Substituting Cornish game hens for turkey. Dinner at 6 with other family gatherings on zoom.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17665 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
He prefers dressing made from white bread,

Of course he does. Wink

I’m cooking a turkey breast in the slow cooker. Damn thing still isn’t cooked through. All the recipes said 4 hours or less for boneless, but mine is really big and might have still been kind of cold in the middle when I started.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Just me, Susan and her sister (who is in the bubble). Small turkey. We had a zoom chat with the boys (and one girlfriend) after our dinner and before theirs. One is in mountain time zone and the other in Pacific.

Oh, and I'm not seeing how to shrink this thing. Often there is a "large" or "medium," or pixel dimensions. Anybody know an easy way to reduce the size?

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

Wow, sounds fabulous.

Please let us know how the turkey turns out. That recipe is intriguing.

The turkey was beautiful, *and* delicious! For the first 30 minutes in the oven, I could smell the buttermilk and was afraid of what it might do to the flavor, but when it was done, no trace of buttermilk flavor, just a lovely juicy turkey. My kids said it was the best turkey they’ve had, and they’re not particularly big turkey fans. Win!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
My two sons and I shared another ZOOM-holiday. First, we'll catch up while having dinner - each something we are fond of, to be shared visually. (As we're all Ketoing, we couldn't have done most of the carb part of a traditional Thanksgiving anyhow. *Sigh*, we have such glorious memories of Thanksgiving feasts past,).

One son has announced his "keto-friendly" feast, in what we call "Gulliver" (scaled-down) style: A rock cornish hen stuffed with Ezekiel bread, green apples, walnuts and green onions. (Sadly, regular onions are so surprisingly high in carbs.) That, plus either raspberries or some erithritol-sweetened dessert.

I had herbed butter baked perch, Spring salad and raspberries. Other son made "mystery meat*" with garnishes (*ham). A "keto-friendly" desert. We all set our tables and used fancy dishes.

Afterwards, we watched a few Twilight Zone shows on Netflix family party mode. (We finally synched the play-back.)

It was really fun. Only drawback for me was a problem with newly recast front tooth (one of three that cracked during the dental lockdown period). Mere hours after leaving dentist's office, the temporary fell out, leaving me looking like a jackolantern - a real spike. The only advantage was that except for Zooming, it was mostly hidden behind a mask. Mad

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post