well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We know he will contest every close state he loses (edited), so....

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We know he will contest every close state he loses (edited), so....
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
... what are the legal ramifications? Where does he have a chance of stopping counting/overturning a vote, etc., from a legal standpoint?

I must admit I'm a bit fuzzy on all the Gore v Bush details, but as I recall that particular decision was so Florida-centric that I'm not sure it could be used as precedent. But hey, I'm no lawyer. And it's true that Trump never let anything as trifling as a law stand in his way before... and he and his minions appointed a lot of the judges in the lower courts. Let's just hope that despite their political affiliation, they have a shred of integrity.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I think he will leave.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The courts can't save him.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I should have been more clear--we know he will contest every state's results until he has no options left...

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
The courts can't save him.

His long-standing last-ditch hope - that his "loyal" SC appointees would rise to his defense if the present Election scenario occurred.
Not even Comey.

He can't grasp even those whose careers he "made" might retain scruples, after all.
Also that they might have to follow the laws.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Is there any possibility of bribing electoral college votes??

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes, in some states from what I understand. There is the so-called "faithless elector," an electoral college voter who refuses to cast a vote based on the outcome of their state. But it gets more complicated, because some states have now written laws that their electoral college votes must go 100% to their state's victor, while other states IIRC have laws allowing or requiring proportional electoral college votes. So if Candidate A received 50%, Candidate B received 40% and Candidate C received 10% of the votes, the electoral college votes must follow that distribution. Some of these laws have strict consequences (elector is replaced, vote doesn't count) while others seem to just say, oh shoot, too bad, try better next time, 'kay?

Faithless elector laws by state

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
... what are the legal ramifications? Where does he have a chance of stopping counting/overturning a vote, etc., from a legal standpoint?

I must admit I'm a bit fuzzy on all the Gore v Bush details, but as I recall that particular decision was so Florida-centric that I'm not sure it could be used as precedent. But hey, I'm no lawyer. And it's true that Trump never let anything as trifling as a law stand in his way before... and he and his minions appointed a lot of the judges in the lower courts. Let's just hope that despite their political affiliation, they have a shred of integrity.

Bush v. Gore was decided as an equal protection case. Some counties were doing one thing with respect to the ballots and the recount, others were doing another.

That is totally not what it happening this year.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Many judges were appointed by Trump. He has served his function. The GOP will now abandon him, it is not like they care.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post