well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bloomberg fans what about this?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bloomberg fans what about this?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting metric - would that be an appropriate baseline? I mean, its rather hard to have that as a positive goal, but it's an interesting idea.

But it seems like that is more or less equivalent to using the violent crime weighting as the base 'non-racist' rate, which was what Bloomberg suggested in an interview right around the time the program was being cut back. But that didn't match most people's intuitions. At least the people on the media I was exposed to. (on this issue NYT and NPR, mainly)

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
It's not a burden of proof. I'm just asking where your intuitions lie.

It's a tough question, I think, and people don't want to grapple with it. In fact, I think people are uncomfortable if the question is even asked.

Our intuitions don't seem to be bothered by the fact that the friskees are overwhelmingly male and young. (again, we may be bothered by the program overall, but there isn't a lot of noise being made that it discriminates against men). Surely that is in recognition of the fact that males are the vast majority of perpetrators of violent crime, and young ones at that.

No, you've set it up as a bar. "How do we evaluate whether the program is racist or not?" That is not the relevant question, to me. The relevant question is, "given a history of racism, how do we ensure that the program isn't racist?"

You're the one attempting to defend the program, so I think that's on you.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
NYC was a cesspool the 11 years I lived there (1981-1992) and people lived in near constant fear. If you didn't have your wits about you, the city would shred you. I left just before Giuliani and Bloomberg transformed the place into Topeka, by comparison. Some of their methods were draconian, but the city was unlivable as it was. I'm pretty sure that I never would have left Bloomberg's NYC for Montana. I haven't been "home" now for five years, but friends tell me the place is falling apart again under DeBlasio. Not as bad as when Reagan was president and cut off funding for the homeless and the mental hospitals, but not Topeka any more.

I think extraordinary situations can justify extraordinary measures. I think you had to have been there to understand just how bad it was and while I cannot condone how black young men are often treated by police, I can understand the entirely justifiable fear that motivated this policy.

I lived in NY for shorter periods during that time, and worked there (as a messenger boy in the city, so I traveled EVERYWHERE in the city) for five summers in the late 70's, and I traveled to NY extensively for work. I had a vastly different experience than you did. Yeah, you had to keep your wits about you, but I've felt the same way in any major city I've ever visited. I never once felt that the city would shred me. I never once felt unsafe in a different way than I've felt in London, in Boston, in DC, in Philadelphia, in Paris, in Hong Kong, in San Francisco, or anywhere else. In every one of those cities, I've had a moment of "be careful, this is not necessarily a spot you want to be in".

My personal anecdote: in the summer of 1983, I was living in the Mormon church building across from Lincoln Center. (There's a Mormon church in the bottom, and the Mormon church owns the entire apartment building, I believe.) One night, my roommate and I went to a party on the East side. At about 1 AM, we left, and decided to walk home. We were a little drunk, we were young, we were insanely stupid. Instead of cutting down to 59th Street, we took the straight path.

Right through Central Park.

In retrospect, it was a stupid decision. Central Park at night was dangerous in 1983. We should have walked around. We could have taken a cab. But we didn't.

Nothing happened. We made it home safely, without incident.

Nevertheless, I remember that every time I am in a questionable situation in any major city. I remember that a small degree of inconvenience is sometimes smarter than a stupid risk.

this isn't surprising. i was a young female, living alone in an apartment in hell's kitchen, a place wracked with gang activity and prostitution at the time. and i walked through it at all hours of the day and night on my way to and from my job in times square. i worked at the nytimes and those hours are long and erratic. i preferred walking home on the street at 1 a.m. to getting on the subway. and i could not afford to take a cab every day.

i visited and spent extended time in many other major cities and never felt as threatened as i did in my circumstances in new york. when you live and work there full time, day in and day out, there is a level of emotional exhaustion that sets in from being that defended and being on guard all the time.

when a gang of dudes was coming straight at me down the sidewalk, you bet i crossed to the other side of the street as far ahead of my contact with them as possible.

unless i was walking my mastiff. then *they* crossed to the other side of the street. Big Grin

was i more afraid if they were black? (there were plenty of white gangs, too.) you bet i was. why? because of the racial tensions in the city. i had been viciously and deliberately spat on, kicked, stepped on, by people in crowded subways, on crowded sidewalks, who did not know me, only because i was white.

does this make me prejudiced? i think not. it makes me realistic about the my odds of becoming a victim *in that time and place*, based on experience. maybe i was postjudiced.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
RE: hit rates-- that's a fairly standard statistical analysis, can be done via chi-square.

2 x 2 matrix:
Search + Stuff = Hit
No search + No Stuff = Correct rejection
Search + No Stuff = False alarm
No search + Stuff = Miss

You can create an expected value for each, then compare the actual hit, miss and false alarm rates by race (or gender or hair color or whatever) and see if they fall outside the bounds of what's expected in the total measured group.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
The relevant question is, "given a history of racism, how do we ensure that the program isn't racist?"

But how would you decide whether you were successful or not, if not by outcomes?

quote:
You're the one attempting to defend the program, so I think that's on you.

My position is much more nuanced than that. Here’s my position:

1) I’m uncomfortable with this from a civil liberties perspective - 4th amendment I mean.

2) The question of whether or not it’s ‘racist’ is a complicated one. I’m happy to engage in the discussion but I haven’t found any takers.

3) It’s not at all clear that the NYC program was ineffective. Blow’s rationale for saying so blows.

4) I don’t hold support for it against Bloomberg, even if it turns out the program was ineffective.

5) Charles Blow is an embarrassment to the NYT.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
The relevant question is, "given a history of racism, how do we ensure that the program isn't racist?"

But how would you decide whether you were successful or not, if not by outcomes?

I believe I've said all I need to say to explain my position. You aren't going to get a different answer by asking the same question again.

But, just to repeat, in case it hasn't sunk in yet ... I think the program is per se discriminatory, unless YOU (or someone attempting to defend it) can come up with a compelling way of demonstrating that it isn't.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So Bloomberg Prepares Huge TV Blitz, Reserving $30 Million in Ads

What strikes me is that these are TV ads, and very possibly old school network TV ads of a sort that not many people see any more. He's not spending the money on social media, cable TV or any number of other ways people are getting their news these days.

Seems a bit out of touch.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
OK. I just saw the third one of these. They’re not terrible. He thinks NYC is really cool, or at least parts of it.

Can we have some sort of thing that tells us what he wants to do?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What about this?

Bloomberg stabs the heart of his news organization

(WaPo - paywall)

Seems a little heavy-handed to me. HairRaising

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://www.politico.com/news/...berg-mess-dnc-242983
quote:
Mike Bloomberg’s decision to dump hundreds of former campaign staffers from his payroll — after promising them paychecks through the election — has left a trail of ill will within the Democratic Party that’s now roiling a key part of its general election operation.

After accepting a much-needed $18 million donation from Bloomberg when he dropped out of the presidential campaign in March, Democratic National Committee officials have been pressuring battleground state parties to hire his former employees, according to senior party aides in three swing states. Those staffers found themselves jobless after the billionaire broke his campaign’s public promise to keep them employed through November whether he won the nomination or not.

But some state parties are chafing at the hiring requests. Senior state party officials told POLITICO they’re being tasked with cleaning up Bloomberg’s public relations mess rather than hiring the best people for the jobs.

“It’s ridiculous,” said one Democratic operative familiar with the dispute, who was granted anonymity to speak frankly about the situation. “There were dozens of candidates [with qualified employees] and the parties are being asked to prioritize the rich guy’s staff over everyone else’s.”

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post