well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Masks

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/4383942497

18 April 2020, 10:47 PM
RealPlayer
Masks
Shouldn’t this be a great opportunity for people who sew? (As do some people here.) I know it’s hard to get N95 or medical masks. I‘be been using the same mask for weeks and would like to get some new ones.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

19 April 2020, 04:29 AM
LL
Or opportunity to learn?

The earth laughs in flowers

19 April 2020, 08:00 AM
wtg
We had a thread about masks, including how to make a no sew version with a bandana, a bit of folding, and a couple of rubber bands:

http://well-temperedforum.grou...923971497#8923971497

And we had this Mask of the Day thread, too:

http://well-temperedforum.grou...0004433/m/1403902497

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

19 April 2020, 08:06 AM
dolmansaxlil
I have sewn some for family and friends who are front-line (25 maybe?). I am not interested in making money off of people who are looking for masks, so I’m not charging for them. Some other local folks are and I’m ... well I don’t know how I feel. The reason I’m not making more than I am is that they do take time and effort (maybe 45 minutes each and a quarter yard of fabric) and neither is an unlimited resource. If I charged, it might be more feasible, but I would feel like I was taking advantage of people in a time of crisis.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

19 April 2020, 10:22 AM
pianojuggler
I found some sage green fabric in the basement, all cotton, enough to make ten masks. So I’ve been making ten masks.

I just watched a news clip that says that two layers of cotton traps only 18% of virus-size particles. (These tests are all in laboratory conditions.)

I’m on the last step of making these masks. I’ll finish them.

Maybe I’ll come up with a design that allows for a piece of HEPA filter to be inserted in between the two layers of fabric.

The news clip also said that fuzzy materials like terry cloth trap more. I have a bunch of flannel. I could use that.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

19 April 2020, 11:04 AM
CHAS
Ordered masks from a nice website.
Got a notice that they have been shipped-
from China.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

19 April 2020, 11:08 AM
ShiroKuro
We bought cotton masks on Amazon, but I would really like to have some that have a pocket for a filter. I've read that doing that and using either a coffee filter or a paper towel makes them much more effective.

I can't sew though, so I'll have to see what I can find online.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

19 April 2020, 11:26 AM
LL
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Ordered masks from a nice website.
Got a notice that they have been shipped-
from China.

Waiting on mine too...and gloves. Not happy.

19 April 2020, 12:12 PM
Nina
China has been the largest supplier of PPE to the United States for years, well before COVID-19.
19 April 2020, 01:22 PM
BeeLady
We have a mutual aid FB page for our city.

The hospital posted that they got way more homemade masks than they could use.

So they were having a mobile pick up for nonprofits and the homeless shelter.

You must take the one bag they offer, of 100 masks to cut down on handling. They have had many takers.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

19 April 2020, 04:21 PM
pianojuggler
Trust me, these are much more sage green than they look in the pictures. They look like something out of M*A*S*H or an army surplus store.

Not sure how long it took me to make ten. Maybe four or five hours start to finish.

Front:

Back:

I tried just folding over each side to make the pocket for the cord. I'm going back to using a separate piece to hem each side. At the pleats I was sewing through 9 layers of fabric. I thought it would be faster and easier. Nope.

My first mask took an entire afternoon. The last one I made one-at-a-time was a little under an hour. Good thing I don't work piece rate. I'd have to sell these for at least $10 a piece just to make minimum wage in Washington State.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

19 April 2020, 05:30 PM
Piano*Dad
As a health care worker, my wife had a few old N95s lying around. We just reuse them.
19 April 2020, 05:48 PM
LL
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Trust me, these are much more sage green than they look in the pictures. They look like something out of M*A*S*H or an army surplus store.

Not sure how long it took me to make ten. Maybe four or five hours start to finish.

Front

I tried just folding over each side to make the pocket for the cord. I'm going back to using a separate piece to hem each side. At the pleats I was sewing through 9 layers of fabric. I thought it would be faster and easier. Nope..

Everything but on the model!

19 April 2020, 06:50 PM
jon-nyc
Rachel made a handful, she and the boy are using them. I have a couple boxes of procedure masks, which I'm reusing after putting them in a UV-C sanitizer. Keep in mind I had masks before it was cool.

Rachel also ordered a set of 10 from Etsy. They shipped a while ago but they're coming from Belarus.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

19 April 2020, 07:48 PM
pianojuggler
quote:
Originally posted by LL:

Everything but on the model!
Well, then... how many of you have a matching mask and foppish hat?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com