well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Costco photo centers

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costco photo centers
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
All Costco photo centers will soon close.

In a message titled "Important Photo Center Announcement" posted on the Costco Photo Center website, the retailer said photo departments at all Costco locations will close Feb. 14.

Some services will be available on the website for delivery, including prints, enlargements and posters; stationary and photo greeting cards; photo books and calendars; photo blankets and other photo gifts; and business printing products.

After the centers close, a few other services won't be available such as ink refill, passport photos, photo restoration and YesVideo Home Movie Transfer Service, Costco said in the announcement.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ruary-14/4146559001/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That’s not surprising, I guess? I don’t print photos anymore. I did order holiday cards there, several years ago, but it is much easier to order and receive from Shutterfly.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmm, that's interesting.

quote:
"Since the introduction of camera phones and social media, the need for printing photos has steeply declined, even though the number of pictures taken continues to grow," the email said. "After careful consideration, we have determined the continued decline of prints no longer requires on-site photo printing."

What they don't mention is how many competitors they have in online companies, I wonder how much of that is a factor.

We don't have a Costco close enough to be members so it doesn't impact us, but we do use the photo services at Walgreens, probably several times a year.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
The only reason I had been keeping my Costco membership was the photo center. The guy that ran our local one was great about color correction and many photographers used the service to make prints.

It closed sometime late last year. Frowner

That and the tiny book section have made me a 'former' Costco Member.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Due to coronavirus, I haven't set foot in a Costco in almost a year.

However, all my dog food, laundry detergent, and certain dry goods come from Costco. Mail order.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. We got a picture of my daughter's new cat blown up on canvas for her as a Christmas gift. Adorable.

Maggie discovers bed covers.

Apparently the services will still be available online.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have used their ink refill services and found them good. There are other places that do that.

I'll have to look around for any undeveloped film I still have... I know there were a couple disposable cameras from my mother's last apartment.

I also liked being able to take a camera card there and get prints made. I guess there are other places that do that, too.

But if Costco is closing the photo counter, I assume it's because they are not making enough money to justify the floor space and staff.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
When I was doing a lot of photography Costco was the best option for inexpensive prints as far as quality was concerned. In fact, they were better for reproducing digital images true to whatever adjustments I made in Lightroom than a chain camera shop who offered a more expensive printing service.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post