well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Doc visit

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doc visit
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
Yesterday I went in for my yearly physical. Everyone masked, no surprises there!

My experience of physicals being younger than 60 were mostly review and checking if my heart was beating...

Now that I'm over 60, it is a way more thorough experience! Found out I'm pre-diabetic, so I have 6 months to try to slim down and try a different diet. Oh boy...

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Be well...harder each year I find.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron, did they give you any resources or connect you to a nutritionist?

Making huge changes to your diet can be hard, so I recommend starting small, finding one thing you can change, do that for 1-2 weeks, and then add another thing, etc.

Also, what did they say about the role of exercise? Can you add walking and that sort of thing, and would it help?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the exercise piece. 5-7 times a week, whatever you like to do and can do.

I've been fighting the Four Devils (high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, obesity) for decades. It all runs in the family, hard.

You can do it.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I was doing much better pre-pandemic. We'd moved down to the city, which allowed us to get much more walking into our daily routines. It was so much easier to get the ten thousand or more steps in just going out to the theater, happy hours, shopping...

That all stopped and I've been driving much more, or just spending more time indoors, so I guessed there would be a price to be paid!

I've never been one to exercise just to exercise. Give me a game and I'll work twice as hard and twice as long! I hadn't found a volleyball group down here pre-pandemic. We almost always walk down the stairs (8th floor), and now I'm starting to add walking up if I'm not loaded down with groceries. I'm hoping that, and getting out on my bike more often will help.

Diet changes I'll try to add a bit at a time. I know I do better with lower carb/sugar intake and I'll add many more veggies as I go.

Toying with the idea of intermittent fasting...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:

I did that for a while. Worked really well at first and then not so much. I think I may need to cycle it to keep the results coming.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I was doing much better pre-pandemic. We'd moved down to the city, which allowed us to get much more walking into our daily routines. It was so much easier to get the ten thousand or more steps in just going out to the theater, happy hours, shopping...

That all stopped and I've been driving much more, or just spending more time indoors, so I guessed there would be a price to be paid!

I've never been one to exercise just to exercise. Give me a game and I'll work twice as hard and twice as long! I hadn't found a volleyball group down here pre-pandemic. We almost always walk down the stairs (8th floor), and now I'm starting to add walking up if I'm not loaded down with groceries. I'm hoping that, and getting out on my bike more often will help.

Diet changes I'll try to add a bit at a time. I know I do better with lower carb/sugar intake and I'll add many more veggies as I go.

Yeah, I hear you. Exercising just to exercise is boring, for sure. That's one reason I picked up tennis in the first place -- I got tired of exercising just to exercise.

The pandemic had been ruinous for my fitness. Tennis is not happening (at least, not as much as it used to), it is not likely to get back to normal until next spring. My gym is a ghost town, and we are suspending our family membership.

But still . . . I can't let my self slip into pre-diabetes just because the chips are down and it is harder to get fun exercise than it used to be. So I put on my headphones and walk for 30 minutes to an hour, and I stop off at a high curb near my house and do 50 step ups on each leg. Sometimes exercise for the sake of it is all you can do.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Not even that exercise is boring, I've never been able to get the motivation to just 'work out'. It was a social thing when we were younger, but now with everything closed anyway...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com