well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    First World Problems just got worse
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First World Problems just got worse
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
My personal preference for dates is ddMMMyyyy

Mine also.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Unless I am trying to save space, I use yyyy-Mmm-dd, or if it needs to be sortable, yyyy-mm-dd. Or, in deference to my American upbringing, mm/dd/yyyy. But dd-Mmm??? Who the heck uses that?

Maybe it's microsnot's way of making EVERYONE suffer by using a default that NOBODY uses.

Sheesh.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

This is great! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Unless I am trying to save space, I use yyyy-Mmm-dd, or if it needs to be sortable, yyyy-mm-dd. Or, in deference to my American upbringing, mm/dd/yyyy. But dd-Mmm??? Who the heck uses that?

Maybe it's microsnot's way of making EVERYONE suffer by using a default that NOBODY uses.

Sheesh.

We have an SaaS vendor who has all date fields as "plain old friendly English," as they told me. So dates download as January 1st, 2022, formatted as text or general - no way to turn it into a date.
Completely unusable.

They have no plans to change it.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nina, that would make me crazy!!

PJ, dd-MM is British.

It just so happens that yyyymmdd is how dates are written in Japan, and it just so happens that this method is the absolutely best for numeric sorting.

Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Nina, that would make me crazy!!

PJ, dd-MM is British.

It just so happens that yyyymmdd is how dates are written in Japan, and it just so happens that this method is the absolutely best for numeric sorting.

Yes
Is dd-Mmm British? I recognize d Mmmm as British. But with localization for everything else, why do we non-Brits suffer it.

I agree that yyyymmdd sorts best, but I find it harder to read. Excel will sort yyyy-mm-dd exactly the same.

Speaking of stoopid AND sorting, I was trying to make an appointment for a flu shot once and the chooser had the available dates as Day-of-week, Name-of-month one- or two-digit-day, Year (Dddd, Mmmm d, yyyy) all spelled out … and in alphabetic order. There were several dozen dates in the list, including many in the past. There is a special place in hell for the twit that programmed that.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I'm still using Word 2003 on my 2008 ThinkPad.

Why?

Well, this spring I bought four different laptops (sequentially, not all at once) that ran on Win10 or Win11, and subscribed to Office 365 on a free month-long trial (I was able to get a second free month by simply signing up with a different email address).

I used the machines and the software long enough to realize that this was just not going to work for me.

First of all, I intensely dislike the constant interruptions and advertising that feels like spyware with the newer OS.

I was able to disable that stuff, for the most part. But the main thing I wanted Office 365 for didn't work--I want to be able to write longhand on the screen (these were 2-in-1 laptops) and successfully convert it to text without having to spend a year editing in corrections.

Just doesn't work.

I found the newer version of Word to be just way more complicated that my needs require.

But worst of all are the new graphics cards that come with all of these machines. They give me horrible eyestrain. I researched what the problem is and apparently I'm not alone--there is a large minority of folks who can't tolerate looking at the newest intel graphics cards.

I think my solution is going to be installing Linux as the OS for my 2008 ThinkPad x200. It's a very solid machine, and I think once I get rid of Vista Business it will do everything I need it to do.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21337 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
pique - if you ever have to upgrade to a new system, you might want to check out the microsoft surface book or surface pro. They have touch screens and pens, and a fairly decent translation program that takes your handwriting and converts it to a doc. None of those are perfect, but this one is reasonable unless your handwriting is really bad/inconsistent. IIRC it doesn't take a lot of training.

The keyboard is detachable so it acts just like a pad.