well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    First World Problems just got worse
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First World Problems just got worse
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
At least for BMW owners.

This, from a recent Bloomberg bulletin.

quote:
When Software as a Service Squeezes Too Hard
We recently booked a long-haul, eight-leg return flight, praying that the Coronavirus doesn’t derail our first overseas vacation in three years. Reserving seats in advance costs extra, of course, so in addition to the initial eye-watering ticket price, we’ve forked out the equivalent of almost $250 to avoid the risk of not sitting together or, worse, being trapped near the bassinets with their screaming bundles of inflight joy.

Such surcharges have become commonplace as a way for airlines to squeeze extra revenue from their hostages passengers. And now the auto industry is trying to get in on the act. BMW AG wants to charge owners of its automobiles $18 a month for a software update that will unlock the already installed seat-warming technology in their vehicles. Otherwise, their buttocks will remain unheated. It also plans to levy a smaller surcharge to warm steering wheels.

Let the Gucci shod pitchfork brigade begin to storm the barricades of their corporate headquarters!

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I really hate the move to make everything a subscription! I don’t care about BMW, but this is part of an overall trend that I really resist as much as I can.

Music - don’t *buy* digital songs, subscribe to a service that in theory gets you access to more music, but you’re paying the subscription fee every month for forever. Amazon music has this model, as does Apple, Spotify etc. I still buy music I like, and refuse to subscribe to Spotify.

Kindle has a similar version, as does the Great Courses, and there are all kinds of other examples. Oh, and MS office products all changed to that as well, IIRC. I get them through work so I don’t subscribe but I really hate the idea!

So I refuse to do it for all that I possibly can. Right now the only subscriptions we have are for Netflix and NYTs.

Ah, regarding cars — it seems to me that the BMW software subscription makes the car less appealing on the used market…

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Maybe think of it as longer term granular leasing?

You can lease a whole car, why not buy parts of a car and lease some other parts of the car?

Wonder if pace makers and burial plots will go to the subscription model, too? Perhaps with ad sponsored options as well?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Maybe think of it as longer term granular leasing?

Wonder if pace makers and burial plots will go to the subscription model, too? Perhaps with ad sponsored options as well?

Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
BMW pulled this stunt with Apple CarPlay a while back.

Customers were not amused and they dropped the plan.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I heard that the heat-seating subscription was only in Europe ... it's still free in the U.S.

They also have a monthly subscription (separate, natch) for the heated steering wheel.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I am annoyed to have to pay monthly to DropBox for sharing large files. I seldom need to exchange large files, but at the moment have to work on 2 files with several other people, so it's OK for now.

But I think it's going to be hard to cut off the service when I no longer need it.

I'd like to have a fee-per-use, but I don't know of such a service. WeTransfer was better, at least you could pay for a single month when desired.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I just "renewed" Office365 for the family. We all downloaded the latest stuff, and I will cancel my subscription.

Turns out they added a lot of nice stuff since Word 2013. Big Grin

On the other hand, I hate having to upgrade Excel. They always completely wipe out the UI and it takes me days to find stuff again. And for those of you who care about these things, what's with the idiotic automatic "grouping" of dates when you pull that field into a pivot table? It breaks your date down into year, quarter, month, and day, and you have to go in every freaking time and undo it. Not a genius move by the MS peeps, in my opinion.

Now get off my lawn!

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Dates in Excel have always annoyed me. Why is the default format D-Mmm? I have never seen that format anywhere but Excel. What can’t they at least let you set a default format for your worksheets?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I predict Audi won't do this and BMW will drop the idea.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I am annoyed to have to pay monthly to DropBox for sharing large files. I seldom need to exchange large files, but at the moment have to work on 2 files with several other people, so it's OK for now.

But I think it's going to be hard to cut off the service when I no longer need it.

I'd like to have a fee-per-use, but I don't know of such a service. WeTransfer was better, at least you could pay for a single month when desired.

I didn’t give it up after I used it for some big work. Now I store a lot of stuff up there. I guess it’s worth it?

I do resent Flickr; it used to be free and then they said they’d delete pictures if you had more than a certain amount. I used to host all the photos for my blog there. I’d have to repost all the pictures into the blog, and I don’t have time for that. Blergh.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
RP ROTFLMAO

Re dates, all dates in any kind of digital file should always be yyyymmdd. This way you can get things into chronological order just from the numbers.

The other thing I hate with a column of dates where the format is automated is when they want to force you to include the time. Grrrr

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
My personal preference for dates is ddMMMyyyy for many purposes although I usually spell out the short months like June and July when I'm writing a check or dating an individual item such as a signature. I keep the date column in the check register in my checkbook as dd/mm.

That being said, I do like SK's comment about yyyymmdd being easy to sort.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post