well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Getting my arm twisted to get the vaccine
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting my arm twisted to get the vaccine
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's an NPR article that summarizes the results of the poll Mary Anna posted about:

https://www.npr.org/sections/c...-americans-poll-find

/aside

quote:
While there was little racial difference in who wants the vaccine, there were sharp partisan differences, according to the poll.

Among Republican men, 49% said they did not plan to get the shot, compared with just 6% of Democratic men who said the same. Among those who said they supported President Trump in the 2020 election, 47% said they did not plan to get a coronavirus vaccine compared with just 10% of Biden supporters.

Similarly, compared with "big city" respondents, rural residents were more likely to say that they did not plan to take a coronavirus vaccine.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That would be great if it were up in the 70s now. Kaiser had it at 49% in Feb and Pew had it at 61% just the other day.

Nina - I didn’t rule out other causes, I questioned Cindy ruling out hesitancy as a factor.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It’s interesting that trust in the vaccine tanked among every group last September when it became clear that Trump was trying to cram it through before the election.

Even among Trump supporters it sunk. Though not as much as among Democrats.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I find it odd that people have as their default that if blacks aren't getting something, it is because they dont want it.

The first explanation offered here for blacks getting vaccinated at lower rates they dont want it. When polling casts doubt on this assumption, the reply is to say the poll is bad, without offering a better poll. Meanwhile, the more obvious, systemic reasons why people of less privilege might get vaccinated less are ignored.

Things that make ya go Hmmmmm.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I never said any polls were bad.

Seems like they’re improving still. But the fact that the willingness polled under 50% as recently as 5 weeks ago surely affected relative take up.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
And what do you mean ‘default’?

I told you I *read* about the discrepancy in acceptance.

You know how many articles like this have been printed in the past three months?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/04...id-survey/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/1...inations-health.html

Usually they have ‘Tuskegee’ in the first paragraph, if not the headline.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This is a perfect example of a point I’ve made before, that discussions of social problems tend to be poorly disguised arguments about blame.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
And what do you mean ‘default’?

By the way, if I had a ‘default’ interpretation of the equity concerns when I first started hearing them expressed back in Dec/Jan it would have been that they’re probably using the wrong denominator. Of course that turned out to be true, though only a partial explanation. (And an explanation that will diminish over time as more groups are eligible).

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. Are you saying there is no issue of vaccine inequity based on race, or are you saying it's not a concern because those black people don't want to be vaccinated anyway?

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Neither. Just because the wrong denominator is used doesn’t mean no effect would be apparent with the correct denominator. I brought that up because you implied I had some sinister prior as a ‘default’ going into this. But if I had any prior at all, it was the cynical one that we tend to mis-measure these things, almost always in a way that exaggerates the effect.

Regarding your second question, even if the willingness gap persists, it would still be a concern. And an actionable one, at least to an extent. But it may point to different remedies than if the discrepancy is driven by other causes.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
It’s interesting that trust in the vaccine tanked among every group last September when it became clear that Trump was trying to cram it through before the election.

Makes sense to me as a plausible interpretation of that September plunge.

The ethnic disparity seems to be somewhat ephemerous. A recently released poll commissioned by NPR showed virtually no difference
essentially no difference between black and white people polled

Latinos are less inclined, and Asians apparently refused to participate... Wink

The biggest gulf still appears to be politically driven.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard the word "ephemerous" before.

Someone who writes for Wikidiff apparently has a sense of humor.

https://wikidiff.com/ephemerou...archaic)%20ephemeral.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Also I realized that Mary Anna posted a link to that poll at the top of THIS VERY PAGE. Oopsie.

Big Grin

Re: the definition of ephemerous - clearly the guy isn't a programmer.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Cindy, I think your profession is right up there with other essential professions, certainly higher than grocery clerk. I can bag my own veg but I can’t fight my own civil rights battles.

You deserve to go to the front of the line.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I see this debate as a question of the lifeboats on the Titanic. If a lifeboat is in front of you with seats waiting to be taken, then I think it behooves you to take that seat. There may be others, perhaps more deserving, somewhere else on the ship who would like to take that seat, but unless there is a clear path forward for them ahead of you, you should not let that seat go empty.

With the now rapidly increasing roll-out of vaccines, further ahead versus further behind in the line becomes less critical. Failure to get vaccinated becomes more important if we are to protect the public at large through herd immunity or something like it. I don't encourage a surge to the head of the line, but I don't think it is likely to be in the interests of everyone to take a step back out of line.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7367 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post