well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Medicare Advantage Explained

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medicare Advantage Explained
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We opted for traditional Medicare with Part D and supplemental. It costs more but is worth it I think. I don't need referrals and don't have a network, other than providers who take Medicare. Plus the international coverage is better.

My brother opted for Advantage and has had to jump through all the hoops you would expect of a PPO/HMO plan to get the care he needed.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13519 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
What you did is what I'm thinking, too, for exactly the reasons you've described, although I'm not at the "need to make decision" stage yet.

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very good piece. Thanks for sharing.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12676 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It is a good article. Thanks for posting it, Quirt.

We didn't even look very closely at Advantage because we had heard about the limitations imposed by the insurers and didn't want the hassle. Insurers certainly make Advantage sound attractive with the lower premiums and "free" extras like dental and vision. I'm guessing a lot of people are unaware of the tradeoffs aka there's-no-free-lunch..

Same as Mik here, traditional Medicare, Medigap, and Part D. Pay for our own dental. We see an ophthalmologist for annual vision exams, which are covered under Medicare except for the refraction. Glasses at Costco.

I've also wondered how agent commissions affect where the business goes. Some years ago when I was looking at prescription drug plans, I stumbled upon a forum for insurance agents who were talking about Part D plans. Not a small part of the discussion was about commissions, and how some agents were directing clients away from certain companies because they had dropped their commission rates.

Sidebar for those interested in how commissions for the various plans work:

https://www.commonwealthfund.o...t-beneficiary-choice

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37704 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
One thing I did not understand is how an Advantage patient could end up paying more for any given service. The coverage is supposed to be the same.

Generally the vision and dental is no better than you can do on your own, and few quality providers accept it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I did not understand is how an Advantage patient could end up paying more for any given service. The coverage is supposed to be the same.

Out of network services?

Ah, now I see what you're talking about. I think the answer might be here:

https://www.kff.org/medicare/i...on-and-star-ratings/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37704 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It might be, but I couldn't find it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

Out of network services?

Ah, now I see what you're talking about. I think the answer might be here:

https://www.kff.org/medicare/i...on-and-star-ratings/

quote:
Originally posted by Mikahiloh:
It might be, but I couldn't find it.

Or maybe not...back to square one.... Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Consumer Reports did a piece on Medicare Advantage, too:

https://www.consumerreports.or...vantage-a6834167849/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Much clearer! (as one would expect from CR)