well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meat Party!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meat Party!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
My Son in law is in a local band and got hired to play at a party in Wellington, a farm community about 30 miles south of there. We were invited to participate as groupies.

It turned out to be a "Meat Party", a sort of potluck deal where everyone brings a meat of some sort, and the requisite midwest sides - tots, beer cheese, buckeyes, fried walleye, etc.

The location can only be described as "Heartland. It reminded of the start of any number of movies. Lots of corn - now all turning brown. Lots and lots of grass.

Here are a few of the meats on offer. The alligator was interesting as it came as an entire 7' alligator wound up in a box. It was skinned but otherwise intact. I saw a picture of it coming out of the box but didn't get a copy, unfortunately. I'm told it came from "Jungle Jim's" or some such - a huge wholesale grocer in Cincinnati. Mik, if you go there we need pictures!

Mrs. Miller wasn't having any of it but I ate it all! There wasn't really anything I haven't had before - the guy bringing the camel meat never showed.

Kind of a cool setup - it's obvious that they host gatherings here fairly often. The main event was in a barn (I want a barn so bad!) but a lot of people hung out on this combination swing set/fire pit installation - a design that deserves much larger distribution.

The sky was spectacular last night. Speculation was that the clouds were from the very edge of what's left of Ian.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Spectacular.

Posts: 24723 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Will do. Jungle Jim's is a real experience. They have the most extensive produce section I've ever seen, tons of whole and fileted fish, ethnic departments like you have never seen. I only go about once a year, to buy specialty meats like guanciale and Bueno frozen tamales (delicious). It would be worth your trip down on a nice fall weekday. You could even get a nice dinner and a comfortable bed out of it. (subtle hint).

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post