well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hoarder House
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoarder House
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Is that the Lane table with the blocky block at the top of each leg that sticks out about a quarter inch beyond the skirt along the edge of the top, then the top is a bit smaller than the legs and skirt?

Yes. There are two of them. One of the appraisers told me the name of the series but I don't remember it.

You would not believe how much that TV weighed. When I took it to the recycling place they unloaded it with a forklift.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
My sister was a hoarder. My brother helped her clear out some stuff and move to a new house, but when she passed on, we had only a short time to divest the house of the stuff. My brother was able to do it in a couple of weeks. Sadly, when things are being cleared out that quickly, you never know if you've thrown away something truly valuable. Neighbors got some nice things at no cost.

My Father-in-Law has been great about clearing out his house - as he is 92. It freaks my wife out how much he's gotten rid of, but it is better than waiting too long.

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I think it's Lane Rhythm. I looked up the name when I put them on craigslist.

A pair or the same end tables sold three years ago for $250. I think I got $100 for mine since they were kinda scuffed, chipped and had a few aforementioned cigarette burns... that was a previous era, eh? At least solid walnut doesn't burn much.

My mother once bought a Curtis-Mathes 35" tube TV from a neighbor. My friend and I brought it into her house. We had to lift it over a washer and dryer to get it in through the only ground-floor door. That thing weighed a ton.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The furniture should be the easy part. The "collectibles" are going to take some time to identify and deal with.

Can you tell me anything about these pieces?

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, dolls in the first pic are Japanese in presentation, leaving aside whether they were actually made in Japan or not. I'm curious about the stickers on the bases of each doll, can you get a close up of those?

In the 3rd there's a tetsubin (iron tea) in the background, that's probably Japanese... You can buy them new, I don't know anything about them in order to say whether that one would be worth anything.

I think the value of the other items (vases etc) will hinge on what they have stamped on the bottom? Well, and whether similar ones are on eBay for a dollar or a hundred dollars...

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
As soon as we had enough stuff out of the way I had the carpet removed in the family room and the hall to help get rid of the smell. It helped, but I think this house is going to have to be treated like one where there has been in a fire. Every surface in the house is going to have to be washed down and sealed before painting, and that includes the wooden floors.

Here's what we found under the family room carpet - likely original to the house. The tiles look like wood but probably aren't. It's a shame they ruined the tiles when the carpet was installed - I think they're pretty cool:

There is a built in planter on top of the shelves one the right in the picture. It's lined in copper - very cool. The paintings are by a guy named Anton Gutknecht and appear to have some value. There are also several paintings by a Julian Ritter (clowns, unfortunately - his nudes sell for quite a bit more), and a bunch more we have not gotten to yet.

I love those floors. Can't they be sanded and resealedL

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
As soon as we had enough stuff out of the way I had the carpet removed in the family room and the hall to help get rid of the smell. It helped, but I think this house is going to have to be treated like one where there has been in a fire. Every surface in the house is going to have to be washed down and sealed before painting, and that includes the wooden floors.

Here's what we found under the family room carpet - likely original to the house. The tiles look like wood but probably aren't. It's a shame they ruined the tiles when the carpet was installed - I think they're pretty cool:

There is a built in planter on top of the shelves one the right in the picture. It's lined in copper - very cool. The paintings are by a guy named Anton Gutknecht and appear to have some value. There are also several paintings by a Julian Ritter (clowns, unfortunately - his nudes sell for quite a bit more), and a bunch more we have not gotten to yet.

I love those floors. Can't they be sanded and resealed?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
They look like tile to me. We had them in our late 50’s house in Idaho. And we had a planter thing like that one too.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20399 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Steve, is this a new profession for you? Or are you related to the deceased?

I love the furniture.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Related to the deceased.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:I love those floors. Can't they be sanded and resealed?

I don't think the tiles are actually wood and don't want to have them tested. Best to cover them up, which is what is generally recommended.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, my condolences, I'm sure that makes it harder to take care of all of contents of the house.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Thank you. You’re very kind. Please don’t spend much time on it.

Suffice to say it’s better this way.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
You said there wasn't much furniture.

I cannot find the words to express how much I want this table:

It screams Lane to me...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think this vase is really cool. Anyone know what this type of glassware is called?