well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I did it again
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I did it again
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Nah, just have Mr AM give it a go. lol

That’s a hard NOPE! He is not a crafty individual.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Man.

You’ll recall that I cut my hair off a year ago. Now I have a respectable amount of hair. But I haven’t had a cut since February, and it’s gone full Sideshow Bob.

But I don’t trust anyone but my stylist to touch it because we are going for a look that requires it to be as long as possible on top. Having someone hack at it could set me back.

This is what I’m aiming for.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t trust anyone but my stylist to touch it because we are going for a look that requires it to be as long as possible on top. Having someone hack at it could set me back.

Cindy, I get your concern on the one hand, but on the other hand, "long on top" is about as straightforward as you can get. You should cut it yourself! Watch some YouTube videos and get yourself some clippers and you'll be good to go!

P.S. I love the style in the photo you posted.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18435 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I might. But curly hair is tricky. It has different curl patterns in different places on the head, and getting it right is like sculpture.

I used to cut my daughter’s hair, and they fired me. You stretch and cut, and then it bounces back. It’s no job for amateurs like me!

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has different curl patterns in different places on the head, and getting it right is like sculpture

Yeah, that would make it tricky. I was reading about texturizing shears (thinning shears) and how they should be avoided with curly hair...

Plus, for home haircuts, despite all the videos (including the one I posted in the "things you're missing" thread) of women showing you how they are cutting their own hair, you really need someone else to do the back.

Posts: 18435 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Gawd, that's gorgeous, Cindy.

Mine doesn't have enough curl to get that kind of height on top, but my stylist in Gainesville could get way more height than I've been able to manage since I moved to Oklahoma. This leaves me with a triangle effect, flat and narrow on top and wide at the bottom.

My stylist and I have no plan, so I'm whacking at mine now and again, trying to unlock the secret of curls on the crown of my head.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
This leaves me with a triangle effect, flat and narrow on top and wide at the bottom.

That was always my problem, when it was long, I couldn't get volume where I wanted it! Now of course it's super short, so a little product goes a long way!

quote:
so I'm whacking at mine now and again, trying to unlock the secret of curls on the crown of my head.

Back-combing? Leaving

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Back-combing helps some. A diffuser helps some. Applying gel while wet and tying it up in a turban to dry helps some. But with the current crop of dry frizzy ends, the bottom half is just going to be boofy.

We'll see how much of it I dare to cut off myself.

Eeker

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Honestly, though, I don't care at the moment.

Quirt sees me in person. My offspring see me on the phone. That's it.

I presume that they love me, even in my current disheveled state. Hence the ongoing experiment in achieving purple streaks....

Leaving

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Cindy - I LOVE the style you posted!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It's definitely the best shape for my face.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I've been doing my own for more than ten years. I never liked going to a hair cutter anyway.

I just keep it short all over.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Honestly, though, I don't care at the moment.

Quirt sees me in person. My offspring see me on the phone. That's it.

I presume that they love me, even in my current disheveled state. Hence the ongoing experiment in achieving purple streaks....

Leaving

I think the purple looks mahvelous, and I fully support the experiment. Woot

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
ROTFLMAO
I like the big hair!!

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post