well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Soil contains antidepressant microbes

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soil contains antidepressant microbes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Good news for the gardeners in the crowd:

Antidepressant Microbes In Soil: How Soil Makes Your Brain Happy

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34875 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Unless you live in Butte Montana, where the soil also contains zinc, arsenic and lead... HairRaising

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20429 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Not ours. Clay, clay, and rocks.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13529 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
20 inches of great topsoil here, used to be a farm. House was built in 1960, before they started stripping the topsoil off and carting it away like they do now.

Gardening in Door County was a disaster. Glaciers leave rocks behind and you have to use a pickax to get them out of the ground. No fun.

I make some killer compost. Gardener's gold, and it has such a great aroma.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37828 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Gardening in Door County was a disaster. Glaciers leave rocks behind and you have to use a pickax to get them out of the ground. No fun.
Class A-B glacial till here, too. You loosen it with a pick and then use a shovel.

I've been composting for years. I have a huge brush pile in the back yard that has also become home to birdies, bunnies, and probably a few rats and raccoons, too. When we move out of here, I'm going to be sorry to leave it behind. I may empty the actual compost bins into a truck and take it to our new home if it's not too far away.

But I do always feel better after a day of playing in the dirt.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30033 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post