well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ice Hockey Questions

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ice Hockey Questions
 Login/Join

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted
I have Five Retardo Ice Hockey Questions. I’ve never played the sport. There were no ice rinks where I lived as a kid in a sun belt city. So excuse me for not knowing all of ice hockey’s more subtle rules. Now I rather like the game and make the time to watch one game a week.

1. I’ve never seen a goal tender get sent to the penalty box. I assume goalies are exempt from going to the penalty box. Correct? So what happens if a goalie should clobber an opposing team player with his stick or deliberately trip someone?

2. I’ve also never seen both goal tenders for a team get hurt in a game and be unable to play further. So what does a team do? Appoint one of the other players to be the goalie or forfeit the game?

3. Why do players leave their broken stick on the ice? Someone could trip over it. You’d think the player would pick up the stick and return to the team bench to get a new stick. Instead the player skates around without a stick which doesn’t do any good.

4. If the puck were painted a high intensity bright color like phosphorescent green instead of black, it would make it easier for TV viewers and fans present to see the puck. Any reason why the puck is black?

5. Let’s say a team appoints a player to stay near the opposing team’s goal at all times. If a team mate when on the opposing team’s ice should gain control of the puck, he could then pass the puck all the way down the ice to the player by the goal. He would then have a few seconds and an easier chance to try and score a goal before the other opposing team’s players arrive on the scene to try and block him. Is there a rule preventing this type of strategy?

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'll give a try on #5

Offsides... lots of complications, but if a player would do what you suggest, they would need to return to center ice (tag up) once the puck came across the blue line before touching the puck.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I’ll do my best. I haven’t been an avid hockey fan for a lot of years, but the stereotypes about Canadians and hockey are at least partially true.

1. The goalie can get a penalty, but doesn’t go to the penalty box - another player goes in his place.

2. If both dressed goalies are taken out of play, the Emergency Backup Goalie plays. The EBG is required to be on hand and is provided by the home arena. Last year, the EMB in Toronto went on for the Hurricanes. He is the Zamboni driver for Scotiabank Arena. At 42, he is the oldest person ever to make an NHL debut. I believe he is now represented somehow in the Hockey Hall of Fame and he even got a hockey card made. It was a great story when it happened!

3. I know the players cannot use a broken stick. It must be immediately dropped because it’s illegal to play with a broken stick. And they don’t want to leave their position because it opens up scoring opportunities for the other team. Any body is better than none. I’m assuming they just get out as soon as they can rather than at their regular shift change.

4. I’m assuming it’s black because of tradition at this point. I wonder if, for the players, black is easier to see. Though practise pucks for kids are frequently orange so maybe it really is tradition. Years ago (the 90s or early 2000s I think) a broadcaster added this horrible glowing puck effect for TV and fans HATED it. It became a huge joke and didn’t last. I wonder if that’s why they’ve decided not to mess with it. (Edit: apparently they tried Day-glo colours at some point and players complained that they were harder to see and bothered their eyes. This is from a quick internet search because it bugged me that I didn’t know)

5. Offside is correct here.

I am not an expert and am happy to be corrected! This is just what I remember from being exposed to hockey my whole life!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A guy I know is a long time hockey fan. We discovered that he did not know what a Hat Trick is. He did not take the ribbing well. I knew what a Hat Trick is.
A Hat Trick is when one player scores three goals in a single game.
Now you know as much about hockey as I know, or close.
Have been to a handful of games. The crowds are often more entertaining than the games.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
A guy I know is a long time hockey fan. We discovered that he did not know what a Hat Trick is. He did not take the ribbing well. I knew what a Hat Trick is.
Have been to a handful of games. The crowds are often more entertaining than the games.

Whoa, even *I* know what a hat trick is. I named a knitting pattern collection “Brioche Hat Trick” because there were 3 brioche knitting hats in it.

DH grew up playing hockey, and loved it. We used to go to minor league hockey games here in PDX, and some major league ones when we lived in NYC.

PS Dol, Mr. AM approves of all your answers!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Click and Clack used to shout “Hat Trick!” when someone got three things right.

I never knew what it meant until recently.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough, I grew up watching hockey in Arizona and love it. We had a professional league, I think it was the last "level" before the NHL, called the Phoenix Roadrunners. We would go quite a lot. It was before Phoenix was a big sports town, and for awhile the Roadrunners was the only pro team in town (not counting spring training). It was also affordable, I presume, since we went.

It was a blast to go to those games. When we moved to Portland, they have a similar team (I believe similar in terms of "level as well) called the Winterhawks. I've gone to those games and it channeled my inner kid immediately. I was also surprised at how many rules I remembered.

Tons of fun.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Strangely enough, I grew up watching hockey in Arizona and love it. We had a professional league, I think it was the last "level" before the NHL, called the Phoenix Roadrunners. We would go quite a lot. It was before Phoenix was a big sports town, and for awhile the Roadrunners was the only pro team in town (not counting spring training). It was also affordable, I presume, since we went.

It was a blast to go to those games. When we moved to Portland, they have a similar team (I believe similar in terms of "level as well) called the Winterhawks. I've gone to those games and it channeled my inner kid immediately. I was also surprised at how many rules I remembered.

Tons of fun.

Go Hawks Go! I loved watching hockey; it’s so fast-moving. I also enjoyed watching baseball, which is quite the opposite. Now I don’t watch much of anything sports-wise.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Tucson now has a team known as the Tucson Roadrunners.
Have seen them four or five times.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The politics of putting farm teams and spring training in Tucson is always interesting. For many teams (like the Coyotes) I believe part of the deal was that they had to put a farm team in Tucson in order to get state funding. There was also some sort of side deal in MLB to put at least some of the spring training games at Electric Park--which, btw, is one of my all-time favorite places to watch baseball.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Click and Clack used to shout “Hat Trick!” when someone got three things right.

I never knew what it meant until recently.

I never knew what it meant until today.

(Thanks, Chas.)

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:

Whoa, even *I* know what a hat trick is. I named a knitting pattern collection “Brioche Hat Trick” because there were 3 brioche knitting hats in it.

DH grew up playing hockey, and loved it. We used to go to minor league hockey games here in PDX, and some major league ones when we lived in NYC.

PS Dol, Mr. AM approves of all your answers!

Phew! I get to keep my super-secret Canadian decoder ring after all!

We have a couple Junior teams in the area (OHL - the NHL drafts a lot of OHL players) and the games are, IMO, better than NHL games a lot of the time. There’s a lot of heart in a Junior game. I assume the farm team games would be similar!

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

The reminds me. Do Canadians mind being called Canucks?

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

The reminds me. Do Canadians mind being called Canucks?

Nope! At least I’ve never heard of anyone being offended by it!