well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    New guidelines for treating obesity

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New guidelines for treating obesity
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted
I can’t tell you how happy this makes me. If one more thin person who has never truly struggled with their weight tells me it’s just about “eating less and moving more” I’m going to scream. I’m not an idiot - I know that’s ultimately the answer - it’s just far more complicated than that.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/...-treatment-1.5049830

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I think it is the gut biom.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Cognitive behavioural therapy via the Noom app seems to have been an effective strategy for my wife.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’ve been seeing that noon app on my iPad ads.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I used the Noom app with success last year. I lost about 40 lbs. I have put about 10 back on since quarantine hit, but I seem to be getting things back under control (and my jeans still fit so all is not lost). But I’m not convinced that it is enough to make a permanent difference. For example, when a global pandemic hits and I’m trying to make myself feel better I still turn to food (and, lets be honest, wine), which is where the 10lbs came from.

The problem is that, depending on your family doctor, if you are overweight ANY health issue can be brushed off with “well lose some weight and that will help”. Not only is that not always true, but It’s damaging because people who are overweight learn not to bother with going to the doctor because their complaint will just turn into a discussion about their weight. Since the medical profession brushing off complaints is already a huge issue for women, the intersectionality of being an overweight woman kind of sucks. Thankfully, my current doctor seems to be better than many, and I’m thankful for his listening ear.

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A friend started work for Noom before the virus took off.
She likes the work. It seems to be good for her. Wonder whether she is taking her own advice.

Quarantine has been a Rocky Road for me.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
My weight loss has stalled, in large part because my diet has backslid, and also because work has been hectic. I’m holding steady, and getting a good amount of exercise, but I need to improve the diet. That’s hard during a pandemic when I cannot get the exact foods I normally use to keep myself under control.

But at least I’m holding steady.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That’s interesting, in one sense it seems we have more control over our diets since we are always home. I had trouble getting certain food items in March and April but don’t really have that problem now.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
That’s interesting, in one sense it seems we have more control over our diets since we are always home. I had trouble getting certain food items in March and April but don’t really have that problem now.

It depends on what an individual’s struggle is. While we do love going out for dinner, we aren’t fast food people and we both bring our lunch to work. We like to cook and know how to make healthy meals. We don’t use many convenience foods other than things like canned beans and frozen veg when things aren’t in season. What I found was it was a lot easier to open a bottle of wine with dinner on weeknights. And there’s boredom. And there’s looking for small pleasures when the weight of a global pandemic seems crushing. So more cases of having a dish of ice cream in the evening. In my case, I also went from the reality of being on my feet all day in a classroom to sitting in front of a computer all day, which didn’t help.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I get it, I was referring specifically to Quirt's comment about not getting exact foods.

I have struggled enough in the past to get the needle on the scale to move in the desired direction to be able to empathize with others in the same predicament.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I get it, I was referring specifically to Quirt's comment about not getting exact foods.

I have struggled enough in the past to get the needle on the scale to move in the desired direction to be able to empathize with others in the same predicament.

Oops, sorry! I misunderstood!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

For me to lose weight, I have to be very low carb.

In order to be very low carb, I have, in the past, used certain things I get on a regular basis from Trader Joe's and Costco. Fresh or freshly prepared foods.

I haven't been to either one since March. In fact, I haven't been to a grocery store since March. The only place I get food is either Walmart (outside pickup, they put it directly in my trunk, no human contact), or restaurant delivery or contactless takeout.

I should be able to substitute. But that isn't easy for me.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post